Steampunk Doll Wings

I make patterns for doll clothes and accessories. I recently did a video tutorial series on how to make steampunk wings. The wing blades are made of two layers manilla tag (the kind used for patterns) and the body is made of 6 mm craft foam. There are also round spacers (thick washers) that I cut out of 6 mm foam as well. I covered the wing blades with ‘wood look’ contact paper and the craft foam is painted and covered with Rub N Buff.

I plan to make a set out of wood. I made the initial pairs out of manilla tag and craft foam because my subscribers can work with them easily, while most don’t have the tools for woodworking. I’m also hoping to make myself a pair out of wood, with some alterations.

I love how much easier it is to do projects like this now that I can cut the pieces on the GF.

80 Likes

Wow…… that is so cool. I can’t believe you were able to make the wings fold up too. Very clever design. Thank you for sharing. :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

:squeeee::squeeee::squeeee:

Back in the day, the Squee emoji got a lot of use. I rarely use them, but this definitely could use several.

Such attention to detail. I admire this so much.

12 Likes

Thank you! It was a good challenge project for me because I definitely wanted them to be able to fold down and extend.

7 Likes

Thank you! This is the kind of stuff I love to do. For dolls and humans. Costuming is my happy place :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh yeah! I know a number of people who’d like a set of those in human sizing!

5 Likes

That is so cool! Not at all what I was imagining from your written description (the reality is much better!)

3 Likes

Holy Smokes! Really neat :glowforge::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Wow really cool, I love Steampunk and it brings me back to the time my daughter was into American Girl Dolls.

3 Likes

Nailed it with the folding, the details are great!

4 Likes

That really is just beyond. Beyond amazing. I’ll never be the creative type but I am so thankful I am here to see these truly incredible masterpieces.

5 Likes

Super cute!

3 Likes

Love the detail and the mechanics you put into this!

4 Likes

Beautiful work. Love the details

1 Like

So how does one get to be one of your subscribers???

3 Likes

You can sign up on my website if you want to. https://kelibudesign.com/newsletter/ I put out videos on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month. Subscribers to the newsletter get free access to free patterns of the stuff I make in the videos (like the wings)…unless I am altering an existing paid pattern. All the tutorials are for doll sized costumes and accessories. Thanks for asking!

7 Likes

Articulated wings! This is just amazing! You’ve really got a gift.

4 Likes

OUTSTANDING! Love the articulation too!

3 Likes

Such artistry! Looking forward to more of your posts!

3 Likes

These are incredible. My mind just doesn’t even work that way to come up with something like that.

1 Like