Steampunk mechanical arm

Excellent painting on that! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I normally like to use wax metallic paste for stuff like this…but it was impractical given the size and all the nooks and crannies. I used acrylics. 3 coats of black and then Marth Steward Metallics in gold, copper, bronze and pewter. Then I aged it with some watered down black paint.

5 Likes

that is so cool! I am still waiting for my glowforge to arrive and I have been wondering about being able to use foam. Very exciting!
:cool:

2 Likes

That looks awesome. Awesome job.

1 Like

Really amazing. But can we trust that it’s really you posting, or has the arm taken control?

8 Likes

Yes. No doubt the Borg has by now assimilated the whole family! Resistance is futile!

Just can’t say how much I am impressed by your work.

5 Likes

I was actually wondering what it would take to have that look and working for someone who actually lost an arm :robot: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Great job! Yes I’ve been using my GF to make armor pieces for a costume company. Talk about saving a TON of time on doing cuts with an Xacto Knife and better yet… insanely clean edges every time!

3 Likes

You will love it for foam!

I am a normal human. beep beep

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks. Funnily enough, my hubby now wants to make a steampunk Borg costume…

1 Like

Have you been posting your projects? I’d love to take a look.

1 Like

Wow, if you did steam punk for the Furry groups you could have a Steampunk Chipmunk! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I have posted a couple on here. Most gets posted on the website of the costume company I do occasional work for.

Can I PM you on questions about this project… since GF doesn’t permit about non PG materials …

Absolutely. Ask away!

@nland and @traci_akierman – you could also start a related thread in the Beyond the Manual category, where non-Proofgrade discussions are allowed and, link to it from here. That would let the whole community benefit from and participate in the conversation …

I am happy to help if any assistance is needed with that.

3 Likes

Thanks. I started a thread there @nland : Steampunk Mechanical Arm - EVA foam settings

4 Likes

Thanks for the inspiration!! I have been waiting for my GF for more than three years now but it is supposed to arrive in August!! After seeing your post I had to try the shoulder from LostWax. As it was a joint project with my 10year old son I had to adjust the original design to fit his size. I was totally amazed by the results!! Great instructions!

But I sure appreciate now how much a time saver the GF will be.

10 Likes

I love this! It looks amazing! We want to tackle this one next to go with the arm. You will love you GF. I didn’t have to wait quite as long as you as I got mine in January of this year but boy, am I glad I hung in there. I use it almost every day. It opens up so many possibilities.

1 Like