Stop the junk mail!

One of the many reasons why I love this machine. My neighborhood mandates a certain kind of mailbox which has a newspaper slot below, into which all kinds of solicitors can insert their junk flyers, business cards, etc. So, I made a plug for it. I wonder if the neighbors will ask me where I got it :slight_smile:

The scary part was removing the huge wasp nest inside the tube .

31 Likes

New business op! I’d get my pricing ready.

4 Likes

Looks like you used stacked rings for the insert part. If you do end up making these, you could make it simple by using mating pieces, something like this:

Much easier, and less material.

5 Likes

True! But, less surface area for the glue to hold the face plate on. Do you think it would hold up?

Wood glue bonds are stronger than the wood. If you used 1/4", you could probably swing from it!

2 Likes

Yeah, 1/4 is what I wanted to use, but all I had was 1/8 BB. But I can mess around with it. I could even have seasonal ones I suppose :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now you are opening up a whole new can of worms!!

3 Likes

I would have thought that would deter solicitors :grimacing:?

3 Likes

You might think so, but we had previously closed it up with gaffer’s tape. Guess they found a way in, which is actually what got me thinking I should make something solid when I started noticing wasps while trying to get the regular mail.

2 Likes

Cut or engrave mortises for the ends of the center portion to attach to the end pieces…

1 Like

They make their nest by chewing up logs! :grimacing: A bit of gaffers tape would not slow them

3 Likes

Classy!

1 Like

seems like the wasp nest plan would have deterred solicitors. Maybe you also need a baby alligator in there? The plug is less maintenance though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Heh, it also deterred me from getting the mail :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 Likes

I didn’t know they made Covid19 bar hopping outfits!

9 Likes

Multifunctional! “We’ve got a 23-19!”

5 Likes

But, are they rated for murder hornets? :rofl:

6 Likes

“ Typical beekeeping protective clothing does not protect against their stings.”

So you will need to reinforce it with that gaffers tape.

Going out to your mailbox in that outfit might deter solicitors.

7 Likes

Especially if you move like you are unfamiliar with Earth’s gravity.

6 Likes