Storage rack to fit DeWalt Medium Tough Case- Update 1 - Ikea Skadis

Really!

1 Like

Ooh, handy. Great write up and pics!

2 Likes

Greetings -
Wanted to hang up my little cases on some new Ikea Pegboard so thought I’d make a new design and update the post…

I went with the Ikea Skadis in my little photo closet / finish bench.

Made a little bracket in medium draft board and I’m betting it looks almost exactly like the ‘wood’ color Ikea Skadis.

I went with the ‘White’ color Skadis to get as much reflected light in the ‘room’ as possible. Here’s a test fit.

Since the board is white I decided to go with Medium Clear Acrylic and found out quickly how fragile it is. :frowning:

But that was trying to pull it up too far to pull it out of the pegboard. And if you’re careful it won’t snap. But worked even with the top one broke off, so might as well go with it. And the notches in the bottom of the case line up about perfect with the spacing on the pegboard.

So works for me!

And of course I angled them so the lower one can be removed even with the upper one in place.

This is the 22" x 22" and you could fit up to six cases on one sheet and still have a little room left over for some scissors or small stuff.

So there you go. I’ll include the file below, and the ‘Construct’ file as well, so you can see how amateur I am at designing these things. :-). Or to use the tabs and scarf off the front to add your own elements. For reference, I designed it with just the Premium subscription.

Thanks,
HL

Ikea Skadis Medium Draftboard
Ikea Skadis Plan

8 Likes

You might want to anneal it. Put a whole tray of them in the oven (180F) for a couple of hours and that should make it much sturdier.

2 Likes

I didn’t know I,ea sold this! Guess I’m gonna have to see if I can get some. And the hangers are perfect. Thanks for the share.

1 Like

Not sure if this would help here, but I avoid sharp corners in acrylic because they are locations where stress can concentrate. I try to add in some “dogbones” instead of sharp inside corners.

I have used clear acrylic like this before, and didn’t like how see through it was – it made it just that much harder to re-position the item. I switched to fluorescent green for all my shop holders.

3 Likes

Thanks for the share! You’re going to have fun organizing. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I live to organize. :wink:

I also made up a little divider that would allow me to section off just a part of the horizontal. Six pieces of medium Black Acrylic is just the right height. I superglued five pieces together without a tie-in as the structural divide top to bottom, then just set one piece with the tie-in on top that fits into the cross piece - cut to the width I wanted.

In case you’re curious, I’m up to 30 of these little cases. I label them mainly for my daughters benefit; but I also just like using my DYMO LabelWriter; and yes, because I have an organization fixation… :slight_smile:

HL

Dewalt Med Divider

6 Likes

Great divider, thanks!

2 Likes