Strandbeest like robot - finally assembled

It’s done (old post)! I finally took the time to assemble the full 8-legged strandbeest. It looks totally cool and walking around with it at GPN19 was very satisfying:

As expected, sideways stability is the biggest problem with the current design, so I plan to double up the lower leg and inner connecting piece later.

The controller is an ESP32 programmed with the Arduino Framework. It opens a wifi access point and provides a bare-bones “website” as a means to control it via the phone. And yes, it can totally walk curves by driving the two halves at different speeds.

Code and Fusion360 export is on my github page.

44 Likes

These are always so fascinating to watch, nicely done. What’s it look like sped up a few X? Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

I’d forgotten how fast the original beests can be!

7 Likes

Cool!

1 Like

Awesomely cool! I love watching those things! :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

When I cut mine out, I didn’t cut out the middle of the panels but kept them whole. Definitely missed the elegance of the original spidery aspect.

Nice work on this!

4 Likes

Oh thanks so much for this - how great of you to share the files. As a bonafide make-hoarder I think I have all the parts on hand - and summer is coming, so this would make a great project.

5 Likes

Amazing project! It reminds my of that old computer game Obsidian (I’m probably showing my age here).

3 Likes

So graceful! Lovely

1 Like

Wow wow wow! I love those things!

Great work!

4 Likes

Very cool, thank you for posting the files.!

3 Likes

Very fun! My 5 year old grandson enjoyed the video with me.

2 Likes

So very cool!

Awesome creation!!! Love it!!!