Strange app behavior with uncertified material

I am trying to do an engrave on something that is .252" high.
I entered .252 in the material thickness box on the material setting, but the app is telling me that the material is too tall.
It is also telling me that the height must be in inches, but if I try to manually type in a " after the height number and save it just deletes that.

Oh and print too complex thing is giving me so much heartache right now since it waits a good 10 minute to tell me that.

Help?

Did you try just 0.25 ? Sometimes that third digit drops anyway.

If I delete the last digit it gets replaced by a 0 but the messaging still says ā€œMaterial thickness must be in inches.ā€

ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Thatā€™s odd. :neutral_face:

You might try setting thick Proofgrade draftboard or something and just adjusting the Focal Point Manually after it sets. Itā€™s the only thing I can think of.

Watch the scan. I would bet that the red dot isnā€™t hitting the material.

2 Likes

Good thought, but nope, it is right smack dab in the middle of the 4" x 4" square.

This is why I donā€™t bet. :slight_smile:

Something went cattywhompus it looks like, since itā€™s flipping out on the height values youā€™re entering. What kind of LPI are you shooting for that 4x4ā€ is exceeding the buffer limit?

I have no suggestions beyond the log out/in, cookies, etc stuff.

Someone should put together an engrave calculator. It would be pretty easy to determine approximate times with the spreadsheet Glowforge put out with the speed conversions. It wouldnā€™t be exact (which would bug some people) but it would at least ballparkā€¦ just speed, LPI and area.

1 Like

It is a complex pattern and I am trying for full 1355 (or whatever the max is).
I just rasterized it and lied about the material, and am giving that a shot.
The whole experience is less then optimal at this point.

Hope that works.

If it was doing full 4ā€ passes, that would be 21,680 inches of travel - and 100 speed is 4 inches per minute.

Donā€™t know yet since it never gets to the point where it will tell me.

I donā€™t see how itā€™s going to, honestly. Thatā€™s one pass per minute. With 5,420 passes needed.

Itā€™s late. But isnā€™t that 90 hours of run time?

1 Like

It is not actually a full 4" x 4" image, and I am willing to wait. :slight_smile:

What I would really like is an answer to the ā€œmust be in inchesā€ thing, which seems like a good old fashioned bug.

Hopefully support can help me out there.

I think the ā€œmust be in inchesā€ text is always there. I donā€™t think it is an error message, it just looks like one because it is red.

Youā€™re right. It shows up by default. It typically disappears if you enter a valid entry (0.250). If you enter 250, it will default to .500 but the red text doesnā€™t disappear. There are a couple of other conditions you can achieve by clicking around in random orders that can keep it from disappearing. But, I donā€™t know that the behavior is based on actual data validation.

No idea on the height error. I really only see that when the scan misses the material (because that part of the design isnā€™t on material). It could also be caused perhaps by a very dirty camera lens not being able to identify the red dot in the picture, I suppose.

The too complex/too big error is basically an error saying that is going to exceed the 3 hour and change buffer. Not necessarily that itā€™s too large and/or complex.

Even at 1x1ā€ and 100 speed (4 inches per minute) isnā€™t that basically a minimum of 5 1/2 hours (not factoring in head turnaround, etc)? 15 seconds per pass. 1355 passes. 20,325 seconds. 338.75 minutes. 5.6 hours.

If youā€™ve done all the cleaning things then Iā€™d wait for support.

I was getting these same kind of issues back in January and they had to fix it via software. Here is the thread: PG Cherry Not Cutting or Engraving Properly

Josh, I just got the same Material thickness dialogue. First time I have ever seen it. Was engraving something a total of 1.75" tall without the crumb tray. Entered 0.35" for the thickness above the missing tray. The laser spot hit the material dead center. It worried me too. I was engraving something that couldnā€™t be replaced easily. I did a test very low power engrave to see what the pattern would look like on the masking. It was just fine so now I am engraving at full power. Thinking itā€™s just a new warning for everyone that can be ignored.

1 Like

Just a thought but I can hardly see the decimal point at best and sometimes think I am adding after when I am not, and the machine would have trouble if your work was 272 inches high!

As for the delay, the machine has to try before it runs off the end of the memory space.

A lot of times I need the control for many possibilities as the 15 gears of different sizes but tooth spacing to match any or all and go through scrap using up the empty spaces with whatever size will fit, but when I load them Glowforge complains there are too many layers that I can safely ignore.

Thanks for letting us know about this. Iā€™m sorry to hear you ran into trouble.

Firstly, I apologize for any confusion regarding the ā€œUse Uncertified Materialā€ input. Including the designation of " is unnecessary, and will be removed automatically if entered. The ā€œMaterial thickness must be in inchesā€ message is a standard reminder, and may appear if you return to the ā€œUse Uncertified Materialā€ window.

Itā€™s unclear why you received an error regarding the material height, and Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll need more information to narrow it down. Could you please try again? If you receive the material height error message, let me know the date and time of the attempt, and Iā€™ll investigate further.

There are many reasons you might receive the ā€œPrint Sizeā€ error message. It may help to take a look at our File Wonā€™t Print troubleshooter. After doing so, could you please let me know if youā€™re still having trouble printing this design?

I have not received that error again, and will chalk it up to random software failure.
Feel free to close this.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re no longer seeing the error.

Iā€™m going to close this thread, but weā€™ll continue looking into this. If the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic.

Thanks for letting us know about this!