Strange behaviour

My Glowforge has been acting a little weird lately, and so I’m opening a support ticket to make sure all is still ok.
I did a search and found this thread, which describes one of the things it’s been doing. Right after turning it on, the lights go off for a moment, it’s almost like it restarts.
Weird behavior at start-up (new GF)?
The video in there is exactly what my unit has done about 3-4 times now. This is my second unit. The first one never did it. I do have it plugged into a heavy duty power strip - this one from harbour freight - https://www.harborfreight.com/6-outlet-heavy-duty-power-strip-with-metal-housing-62437.html My first unit was plugged into that strip too and never flickered like this unit.
I don’t have the option of directly plugging into the wall, and venting out a window at the same time…and I currently have no where else to put it until the filter comes.
The last time it flickered when powering on was today, 03/07/18, at about 12:15 - 12:20 pm.

The second thing it’s done a couple of times now, that I keep trying to record on a video, is a weird crackling sound coming from the right side of the unit. The last time was yesterday. It happened just before the cut was over (I think), started before the fan turned off, but I could really hear it after the fan shut off. It only lasted for a few moments after. It’s not the clicking that happens while calibrating. The first time I heard it I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from, I thought it might’ve been something else in the room, not the Glowforge. It’s an uneasy crackling, kinda like electronics before something bursts into flames…however, I’m pretty sure that’s not it, since it’s happened more than once, and then just quits crackling and goes on with it’s life…without bursting into flames. But it made me uncomfortable when I heard it. Since yesterday I’ve been having my camera running after every job, trying to catch the sound on video to post, and I will post it as soon as I get it.
Maybe all of this is normal and I got nothing to worry about…but I’d rather check first and know :slight_smile:

1 Like

The HV feed to the tube is on the right. Check that it is not catching on the heatsink near the front. It was on another machine and it wore through the insulation from the thick red wire and made it arc.

The other thing on the right is a speaker but that has been mute so far.

1 Like

I stuck my head inside the machine and looked all over on the right. It does not appear to be catching on anything, at least, it doesn’t look like it, but the next time I cut near the front of the machine, I will watch it intensely.

1 Like

If you want to toss that power strip, just get a short heavy duty extension cord.
14 gauge (12 is a bit over kill) will handle anything that is going to happen with the GF.
Trip receptacles, power strips, and other items (besides a longer wire --> extension cord) between your machine and the power source are almost always going to be suspect for unusual power behavior.

The noise is something else entire, but if it was me I would make sure nothing is underneath by the intakes.
Then unplug it and go hard core with a bright light and a mirror. Check around radiator (input fan area//connections), and the high power connections on the tube, etc. If it is indeed sparking, it should show char.
Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know about this.

I’m taking a look and I’ll let you know when I have more information.

1 Like

Was it after a long project run? I’ve had the Redsail do that when it over-temps due to the tube arcing. Since the GF is supposed to be thermally protected, that shouldn’t happen here and if it is, then you’ve got a warranty replacement possible.

It was not a long run. And interestingly enough, I ran print after print all day on Wednesday, some of them around an hour each, some 40 seconds, and each time had my camera ready to record near the end, but it didn’t happen again. It’s only happened a couple of times, and I think it was coming from inside the black box on the right side. I am confident it was the right side of the machine tho.

If you have the time/date it happened, that will help Support - they can check the logs for your machine and see what it was reporting. They’re likely to ask you for it anyway and by having it posted already you might be able to eliminate one of the posting round-trips (the asking & the reply) that slow down resolution.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately, I’ve determined your unit has a problem we can’t solve remotely. I recommend we proceed with another warranty replacement and I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details.

I’m so terribly sorry for the bad news and inconvenience.