Strange but beautiful plastic engrave residue

Unfortunately you can’t trust an Amazon listing for reliable product information, and the suppliers aren’t usually manufacturers.

I can say with some certainty it’s not Lexan polycarbonate. That stuff is useless for the laser.

@mnemosyne It seems to be very consistent in its behaviour. I’ve made other shields with custom engraves on this plastic and they all come out with the same gorgeous effect as the attached photo. I’m just hoping it’s as safe as it is gorgeous!

2 Likes

If you’re cutting it, you can do a flame test on some scrap to see if it releases chlorine. Not sure of the procedure but you can google it…

1 Like

good idea. Will test when I get some free time.

It’s really unclear from the Amazon listing what it is. As you point out it says “Plexiglass” in one place, and PET in another. It also says “Crystal Clear Polystyrene Plastic Sheets: This superior clear PET resembles acrylic in clarity and multi-purpose uses!” in the bulleted list a bit farther down in the description.

While it’s good that none of the alternatives are chlorinated plastics, doing a flame test is definitely a good idea!

1 Like

great reference, thank you!