Strange overlap in SVG

First off I am totally new to Inkscape and could be doing something wrong, Also I am sure I could combine this into one shape and eliminate the problem, But its strange

Where 2 shapes overlap the GF didn’t engrave.

It is and SVG file, File no stroke, its just 3 shapes that overlap.
Here is the SVG
over lap
Also I don’t really mind the look :grin:

7 Likes

You haven’t done a boolean operation to knock out or join the shapes and the underlying fill . If you make three filled shapes and just lay them over each other, this will happen. One of the matrix tutorials goes through this issue.

6 Likes

Oh wow! What a cool effect!

You need to combine them if you want them to engrave as solid in Inkscape. It has a tendency to subtract overlapping shapes natively. (Path > Union)

7 Likes

Thanks @marmak3261 and @Jules. it is a neat effect, I think you could do some cool stuff with it. its also interesting that where there are 3 layers it did engrave, Just wanted to report it if it is a bug.

4 Likes

That particular issue is just the way Inkscape works, but it looks like it would be fun to play with. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes it will alternate because a standard test to decide if a point is inside or outside a shape is to count the number of boundaries you cross going off to infinity. It doesn’t work for overlapping shapes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help everyone! I’m going to close this thread - if you have more questions, go ahead and post a new topic.

1 Like

Very cool effect. Sorry it wasn’t what you were looking for, but I’m glad you found it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! that makes sense!

1 Like