Stripped Screws on Honeycomb

This is my second bed and second time the black side screws have been stripped. No matter how careful I am, the metal on those is so soft and I have no idea where to get replacements. Help :sob:

Hi there. To ask a silly question, why are you dissasembling your crumb tray?

10 Likes

Crumb trays are available in the Glowforge shop. I have had my machine nearly 5 years and have never taken the crumb tray apart, so this problem is not something I have experienced.

8 Likes

Agreed. I’ve never taken it apart. Turn it sideways to dump it out. Turn it upside down and give it a few pats. Dust it off and put it back in.

7 Likes

Wasn’t even aware it had screws. Not sure what they would be used for.

Only had my machine for 5 years…

6 Likes

I’ll pile on as well. Never did anything but remove, tilt, pat, and replace. Except once I had some melty stuff I needed to kind of chip off. But it fell through and spilled out the front same as everything else.

The Crumb Tray, Like Johnny 5, says “no disassemble”. :slight_smile:

That being said, they’re likely just self-tapping sheet metal screws. You can find a wide assortment of sizes of self-tapping sheet metal screws (or plain old sheet metal screws that don’t self tap, even) at a home improvement store like Home Depot. Take one of your no-good screws and buy whatever looks similar but is slightly larger.

6 Likes

Ace Hardware, take one with you and get a slightly larger replacement.

6 Likes

And remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

3 Likes

Hahah I’ve been cleaning it every month since I got it! On my last machine I did the same thing. The bottom gets so much crusty junk in there.

Well I’m glad I posted haha. It seems most of you just leave it put together! I clean the bottom once per month. It’s super gross in there!

1 Like

This is my second one, my last one got so dirty even with me cleaning it once per month. Eventually I had to replace it. I usually cut 40-60 hours per week to give reference.

1 Like

Maybe there’s something like a bottle-brush you could find, with enough reach to get all the way in and sweep it out vs. take it apart…?

3 Likes

Yes I use pipe cleaners for the actual honeycomb portion actually! It’s the underneath, I wish I had a photo to upload when it gets dirty. Because if there was a way to clean that part without taking it apart that would be amazing.

1 Like

FWIW, I’m on 5yrs and have never cleaned my tray either, so it’d be interesting to hear what you’re cutting and see where it’s getting all gunky. :slight_smile:

If you’re talking about the bottom of the interior slot that the detritus falls into, I’m not sure that you really need a way to clean in there unless you’re cutting something weird that leaves an unusually thick layer of goop. Just dump out any loose material, and if the laser beam makes its way between the metal honeycomb and hits goop stuck on the bottom, there’s no real danger because it’d just get burned up. And I know it probably wouldn’t make a really noticeable difference, but the tray isn’t designed to be disassembled, and I do remember years ago someone talked about taking their tray apart only to find that they never could get it back in exactly the same way, and that itty bit of difference meant it no loner sat perfectly level in the dimples of the floor. (And sitting uneven in the dimples could possibly affect how well/even it cuts.)

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are you cutting that’s making it so gross?
(I’ve never done anything besides dump out the bits that fell in either in 5 years)

Unless you have something flammable or growing down in there - the only part that needs to be clean is the very top surface that touches your material.

2 Likes

I cut acrylic, so it’s usually yellow gunk and sticky dust from the protective paper

Odd…and interesting. I’ve been cutting acrylic for almost 5 years now and have never had any kind of buildup on the bottom of the crumb tray.

1 Like

I pressure wash mine once or twice a year, on a hot sunny day. I give it a quick spray to get wet, then spray some cleaner into the honeycomb part and let it soak for a few minutes, then pressure wash again. Then leave it leaning up against a chair facing the sun to dry out.

4 Likes

I just take it out, turn it over and shake it. Thump the bottom a couple of times. Anything significant inside falls out to the floor and then I get to sweep.

(But it’s pretty quick.) :wink:

4 Likes

Hmm, I cut a ton of acrylic and have never had this problem with too much masking gunk building up either, so I wonder what the difference is. :thinking: My gut reaction is you’re probably worrying about something that really isn’t an issue, but maybe there is an unusual build-up for some odd reason. Is the build-up as thick as tissue paper, or a thicker layer like chipboard? (Couldn’t come up with a better analogy. lol ) Are you using PG acrylic that comes pre-masked, or are you using your own masking?

(And it’s so tough to ‘hear’ tone in written stuff, so I hope I don’t come off as dismissive or critical of you; I’m just curious and wanting to see if we can make things easier for you. :slightly_smiling_face:)

3 Likes