Strokes are coming in filled

I am having a new problem. When I create a drawing in Illustrator, I create strokes as usual using the GF pallet. When I import them into GF, the drawing comes in as filled. in Illustrator the fills are null. What is going on? I’m attaching the files. Thanks!
cocina dalia.ai (588.8 KB)

I’m not sure what element you’re referring to. The words appear to be filled in both Illustrator and the GFUI. Nothing else appears to be filled on either. In Illustrator it appears you have the bounding box selected and that has no fill in either.

I think they’re referring to the big black rectangle in the second photo. From what I saw in the forums yesterday, it may be a bug in the new UI. People were able to back out and go back in and get it to work right at times, but it does seem frustrating.

2 Likes

I read about this yesterday, as well. Jules and one other poster experienced this.

2 Likes

Yes. I am talking about the black box that should look like the image in illustrator. This started happening recently. Does anyone know if it will print correctly?

This file is different from the one that I had trouble with, but I’ve already passed that information along to support so I won’t duplicate it here.

In my version of AI (CS5) I see clipping masks in this file, one of them the size of the whole artboard, one of them the size of the rectangle cutout, one of them the size of the raster image. Once those clipping paths are removed, and the duplicate rectangle path around the raster image, the file loads up like this which is what you are shooting for, I think:

I know that the more recent versions of AI will present that way in my older version of CS5 though, and I assume that the file wasn’t created that way (absolutely no reason to do it), so I was thinking maybe the issue could be an overlooked modification to the code in the latest update that interprets the recent versions of AI output without those clipping masks.

And this is starting to make my pitifully inadequate brain hurt, (this is not my bailiwick), so I’m going to go get some breakfast. :wink:

The testing and discussion above was run for support, to help them try to find the gremlin in their miles of code.

@jonnyvermont, if you want to try the one I have linked below and see if it works for you - it’s the result of removing those clipping masks from your AI file and saving it as an SVG from the older version of AI.

cocina dalia AI CS5 version.zip (120.2 KB)

And I’m probably making a complete fool of myself with the coding crew. :smile:

2 Likes

Jules,

Thanks. I am not sure about the clipping paths. I just drew the shape with the pen tool and converted the type to outlines. I am not really great with illustrator yet. But I do know this. If I add artwork to an already scanned bed, it comes in as a black filled shape where you cannot select individual items. If I close out of the app and select upload, it comes in correctly. Thanks.

Ah! That’s a good point…only happening on the drag-n-drop. That’s the kind of thing they can use to narrow down the search. :+1:

LOL!!! I thought that was a cut piece!!!
So I was just looking at the objects on the left!

1 Like

Yes this is super annoying, it happens almost every time you add a second image file after deleting a resized file or if you make to many copys of an item, just solid black fill. Then to fix you go back to home screen, delete file, reload file then its there but if you have to re-upload another file then you start over.

Thanks so much for letting us know about this. We’re seeing this, too, and we’re looking into it now.

In the meantime, if you run into this issue, you can choose “Add Artwork” and upload any other file. Doing so should make your original design appear “correct” again, at which point you can delete the other file you added and continue to prepare your print. I apologize for the inconvenience, and I’ll follow up in this thread as soon as I have more details.

Thank you for your patience. We’ve made a change that should resolve the issue you reported when working with your designs in the Glowforge app. Could you please try again and let me know if you’re still experiencing any trouble?

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.