Stuck at focusing

Hello,

I’ve been using my Glowforge PRO for no more than 2 months and the last couple days it’s been stuck at “Focusing” for ever. I’ve tried every steps provided by staff and users in the forums, but nothing is working.

I can do 1 cut and then it goes back to focusing for hours (unless i start rebooting everything to get just 1 more cut). The machine is clean, i’ve cleaned all the lenses, used my phone as a hotspot, etc. nothing works.

I need a solution, i’ve work to do and i’m getting very dissapointed with this product, it’s unacceptable for it’s price…

Please help

Are you waiting for the “Cool Down” period to complete before opening the lid? (Sometimes opening it too soon can cause it to get “stuck” because it breaks the flow of information back and forth. When that happens, just turn off the machine and let it run through the Startup calibration again.)

1 Like

Yes, i 'm waiting for it to cool down. I’ve been running the startup calibration over and over, in the best case, it only lets me do 1 cut and then it goes back into focusing for ever.

Stuck at focusing for at least 1 hour. What do i do? the only way i can get my GF to work is to turn it off, put the head under the camera lens and turn it on (however this only works sometimes, it often takes over 20 minutes to start working after doing this, but sometimes it just doesn’t).

The head is just sitting there, sometimes i can hear the sound of the focus “clicking”, but now it’s just silent.

i’ve only cut Medium Draftboard since i got my GF pro.

Please help, i have orders from clients

Hello! @actos.sinestesicos I am very sorry about the focusing problem you are running into with your Glowforge printer. I will do my best to get this issue resolved for you.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning#things-that-need-wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply

2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration

3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Let us know how it goes!

I wait until after the focusing operation is completed after the “Cool Down” period before opening the lid. The GUI will say the print is complete but then goes into the focus stage. If you wait past the focusing operation at the end of the job it will then say “ready”. I have found that if I open the lid after the “Cool down” but before the ready I will get stuck in focusing. Waiting the extra 45 seconds or so until the “ready” makes all the difference to me. If I don’t wait then I’m stuck in focusing. If I wait then all is good.

Thanks for the tip. I’m happy you found a way to overcome this “Focussing” issue, i’ve already tried it though and i’m still stuck on focusing. Even if i wait 1 hour after a cut (and not opening the lid), it never goes to “Ready”, it just stays focusing.

Hello! @actos.sinestesicos Were you able to try the steps I recommended? I will post the steps here again just to make it easier for you.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning#things-that-need-wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply

2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration

3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Let us know how it goes!

Hello,

For step 1), i’ll do it during the day and i’ll inform you. I’ve done it before, though, and the lenses are perfectly clean.

For step 2), i don’t use any magnets to secure the material,

For step 3), i’ve done that many times because i’ve been browsing the forums to find a solution for my problem.

I’m kind of glad that you found a problem in the logs, the only way i can get my GF to work is by turning it off, disconnecting the head of my glowforge, reconnecting it and then placing the head under the lens (Then wait 15 minutes). if i don’t do this, the machine could easily stay focusing for 1-2 hours (or forever). However, i’m sure this workaround could eventually damage the machine if i keep doing it… but it has helped finishing the last orders from clients i took before this issue.

Thanks for answering

Hey @actos.sinestesicos I am glad you found a workaround for the moment. I want to make sure to get this properly resolved for you. Whenever you can go ahead and check that printer head lens from step 1 and let me know how it looks. Once you reply back with that information I can move forward with next steps. Thank you!

Hello Ray, i couldn’t find my “Lens Tool” so i bought one from your store 4 days ago, it should arrive soon. Once i get it i will update my status, i’ll try not to use my GF until it gets here. Thanks.

Hello,
I couldnt find the Lens Tool, so i bought one 4 days ago, it should arrive soon. I’ll update my problem when it gets here so i can run the test you asked for.
I’ll not use my GF until i can fix the focusing issue, i’m scared that moving the head of my GF everytime i need to make a cut, would end up creating some real damage.

El mar, 3 de ago. de 2021 a la(s) 15:06, Glowforge (<a href="mailto:support@glowforge.zendesk.com" rel="noreferrer">support@glowforge.zendesk.com</a>) escribió:<br />

HI @actos.sinestesicos I saw you were working with Ray earlier to check your printer head and now just waiting for your Lens Tool to arrive. In the meantime, you may also want to check out our support link below with an alternative method to help remove the printer head lens if you’d like:

https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047227554-Lost-Lens-Tool

The Lens Tool is great for use with the maintenance and cleanings, but the steps in the link above may be a help with getting any photos to address the printer head if you’d like. Thank you.

Hello,

I tried the method you told me about,

Here are the photos, everything looks perfect, however i just did a cut and the GF went to an endless focusing process.

What can i do now?

El El mar, 3 de ago. de 2021 a la(s) 19:39, Brandon.B via Glowforge Owners Forum <glowforge@discoursemail.com> escribió:

Thank you for sending the requested photos! After reviewing all of the information, I recommend that we send you a replacement printer head to resolve the trouble. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details.