Stuck in "Focusing"

This happened yesterday as well. I’m stuck on “focusing.”

I successfully cut simple circles on 6 sheets of green cardstock. Now I’ve loaded in the red and it won’t get past “focusing.”

I’ve restarted the GF, both with the lid open and closed. It worked for one sheet, loaded another and stuck again, with no luck turning off and on again. Why is it doing this?

Hmmm… a few moments after posting, I once again restarted the GF, put a piece of wood in there, which it scanned successfully. Then I switched it back to the red cardstock and it cut my 6 sheets with no problem.

I’d still like to know why this happened, is it something I’m doing wrong or is it just a bit wonky at times?

Wait…red paper? The autofocus uses a red laser dot to locate the correct material thickness during it’s routine…I’m gonna bet the poor recognition software can’t see it. You might want to use a very low tack white masking paper on top of the red.

3 Likes

Jules, thank you so much! I had a feeling it might have to do with the color, it’s the only item I’ve seen this happen with.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve it. However, I did pull the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and it doesn’t seem like the material was a factor in the problems you saw. The red dot @Jules mentioned will only show up once you’ve prepared and started a print, during the “Scanning” step. If you run into this again, could you please try following the steps located on our support page here for “Things That Need Wiping” before trying again?

I’ll go ahead and close this thread, but please start a new topic if you run into any other trouble. Thanks!

1 Like