Stuck in scanning mode

When i turn my machine on, I do not get any of the normal centering of focusing movement from the laser head. I have tried several of the troubleshooting options i have found on the forum: cleaned the lens/mirrors, restarted, unplugged and restarted, loaded a different design, moved the head to the center(below the cameras). There are a few more things i want to try when i get back to the shop, but wanted to get a post in to see pull from the experience and expertise of the community. TIA for your time and input.

happening now, 3/27/2019 @ 8:17PM CT

It is helpful to support if you could give them the date/time/time zone of an attempt for them to take a look at your logs.
Most often a WiFi issue is responsible. Here is a reply for a user with a similar issue, You might try the hotspot option mentioned to see if that has an effect.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to take a look into your report, and what I found is in line with @PrintToLaser’s suggestion. Around the time of your post, I can see several instances where information was being downloaded from our servers to your unit, and the request timed out or expired. This indicates that the Glowforge has an unstable connection to either your Wi-Fi network or the Internet. In addition to the thread that was linked above, the most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps! If you run into any other trouble, please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com.

4 Likes