Stuck on Centering: 05.08.20

After testing the passthrough software this morning, my machine is now stuck on centering. I’ve done all the normal troubleshooting steps, as this has happened to my machine multiple times before. I have attached the logs for your review. I do have a couple spare ribbon cables as replacements, if that turns out to be your recommendation. This post is just to get a ticket opened with support.

Logs-JJV-944-20200508-183117.zip (5.0 MB)

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago, I found this great website. Here is a link about GF centering.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s a great resource! But as they say, this isn’t my first rodeo, and tried all of those troubleshooting tests already. I walked away from it for a bit to let my Glowforge think about its’ decision to die on me today. I’ll give it another chance later, and if Glowforge support doesn’t reply, I’ll just change the ribbon cable.

1 Like

I purchased my GF last September. I did about 30 hours of research before I made the purchase. When the GF arrived I thought I was prepared—- nothing could go wrong. ROTFLMAO!!!

Ten days after the GF arrives I am having one of those scanning, focusing, centering issues. In the 30 hours of research none of those issues were EVER mentioned.

I was starting to have a panic attack because I thought I broke a $6000 machine.

Went to the GF community, Internet and the Facebook GF forum and found some post. It recommended a few things.

1. Turn off the GF.
  2. Wipe all lenses and the camera
  3. Clear all cookies and Internet history. Completely turn off your computer, tablet etc.
  4. Only have the crumbtray in the GF —- no material
  5. Turn back on your computer, tablet etc.
  6. Finally turn the GF back on.

Whatever I did fixed the issue. I do hope the stars are aligned and your GF is not broken.

Warmest Regards,
Elena

1 Like

So, I left my Glowforge be for a few hours, and restarted it a few more times. After the 3rd time, it came back up and is now ready to print. Not sure if you want to review the logs anyway, but this is the second time I’ve had the phantom stuck on centering where it automagically resolved itself after like 20 restarts and walking away from it. You can go ahead and close this ticket. Thanks!

I’m sorry that your unit got stuck on centering. I extracted the logs and took a look at the recent instances where it was stuck. From what I can see in the logs, if the connections on your black lid cable all look like they’re in good shape, there might be an issue with the cable itself.

Since you already have one on-hand, if you run into the same trouble again I would recommend replacing the cable. You can follow this link for the instructions to replace the black lid cable.

I’ll close this thread as requested. If you run into trouble again, or have any questions, please post a new topic on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!

1 Like