Stuck on Homing -- Head Not Moving

This is a new one for me.

When I turn on the GF:

fans start up.
I get the ticking sounds
the head moves 1/4 in and then moves back to home
the light goes on
the status in my UI says “Homing”

Typically it moves to the center and starts the homing process. But in this case, it’s not moving to the center.

I tried:

turning it on and off.
turning my network on and off.
turning off the GF and manually moving the head and the laser gantry. They both move smoothly.
disconnecting the head and reconnecting it.
changing web browsers (from FireFox to Safari)

I’m not sure what to try next. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like your black lid cable might be broken. Support will usually ask for close-up, clear pics of each of its connectors to ensure it’s still connected correctly.

If the machine can’t communicate with the lid camera over that cable, it won’t complete calibration.

Someone else had this exact problem today. Here is what he had to say: Stuck on Homing -- head not moving under the camera, light goes on

Hello @tracypaul.warrington,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge is getting stuck homing.

I took a look at the logs for your unit and the issues you’re seeing might be caused by a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.
  2. Open the lid.
  3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.
  4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

1. If any of the clips are open, ensure the cable is inserted straight into the clip and close the clip.
  2. If any of the cables are misaligned in the clip, take a photo of the clip and cable and send it to me so I can take a look before you proceed. Do not try to adjust or reseat the cable.

If everything is connected properly, it’s likely that the black cable on the lid has a problem. I can send you a replacement for that cable, along with some instructions on how to replace it so we can get you back to printing as quickly as possible.

If a new cable is needed, please let me know and I’ll move our conversation over to email in order to confirm some personal information.

Please let me know what you find.

1 Like

MorganW:

Everything is connected properly. So, I guess this means the black cable has a problem. Can you send me a new black cable?

While you do that, I have a question: Did Glowforge ‘push’ a software update, or changed any parameters recently? The reason I ask is it seems unusual that multiple GFs have homing problems at the same time. When I see this behavior at work, the first thing we check for are updates to the software, or changes to the settings.

Anyway, let me know via email how y’all want to handle this.

Tracy

I responded to the thread. All cables are intact. How do I receive a new black cable?

Tracy

Hello @tracypaul.warrington - I’ve just sent some next steps to get that cable shipped out to you via email. Since we’ll be finishing up getting everything taken care of via email I’m going to go ahead and close this topic.