Stuck on homing yet again

Seems the Glowforge servers are slow again as it keeps getting stuck on homing, or centering, etc. I’ve barely done 2 projects and it’s been super slow. Why are we spending all this money on machines and subscriptions if Gkowforge can’t keep up with the demand?

Nothing wrong with their “servers” (it’s hosted on Google Cloud.)

Most likely a wifi issue on your end.

It’s not the servers. It’s usually wifi, or maybe a cable malfunction, but there are several other things that can also cause it. Here are the official troubleshooting steps:

1 Like

Hello @yankee7548 I’m sorry to hear you’ve become bogged down with this issue, thanks for reaching out so we can assist.

I extracted the logs from your printer and one of the things that really jumps out to me is that the printer has been struggling more than usual recently to maintain a network connection. This could explain the slowness you’re seeing, as calibration steps could end up getting interrupted when the network connection drops.

Since this seems to be a newer problem, if there’s anything that’s changed with your network setup recently that might be helpful to know.

To start us off I’d like to recommend some of our standard Wi-Fi troubleshooting steps to see if they help get things back on track for us.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

It’s been a while since we’ve heard back from you, so I’m going to go ahead and close this topic for now. Please feel free to create another or email us if you still need assistance!