Stuck on "Needs Calibration"

You may want to anyway. A new thread/topic is a new support ticket same as if you’d e-mailed support directly.

If you haven’t used your Glowforge yet, and only just got it connected to your network, I’d try leaving it powered up and idle for several hours. It should try to automatically get the latest firmware and upgrade itself. Certainly longer than 30 minutes at a time - maybe even overnight, as you email support and wait that out.

I suspect that newer firmware has improvements for wireless and cloud connectivity, along with the better code for operating in temperature ranges.

So for three days running my GF gets locked up on the calibration phase from around 9:30am-8pm (PST). It worked perfectly last night and this morning but is now locked in the calibration phase.

Would this be possibly due to something with the GF servers? On my network side the midday hours are less used than the evening or morning.

The GF is in the garage which is AC’d down to around 74-76. There’s a large glass door but I have opague material over the lid of the GF so I don’t see how it could be a light leek issue.

very curious… At least I’m getting some time to work on my stuff. Just wish it was more stable!

@Todd, as you’ve likely seen in your email, we suggest a warranty replacement for the issue you’re experiencing – I’m very sorry!

@jeffbowman, you’re right that creating a separate post is often better, but we saw this one and can help even though we think it’s a different issue.
At a time when it’s convenient for you to be home, would you turn your unit on and leave it on? Then update this thread and let us know and we’ll make a change that should get you all squared away.

6 Likes

Okay the GF is on. Let me know if I should login…

Fingers crossed!!!

@todd Unfortunately, if I read the post right, you might need to send yours back.

@jaz Thank you for the insight! Our unit is on and we’re home, and will stay home/available/here for the next 3 hours or so. Can also leave it on overnight or resume in the morning (8-10am PDT). Hoping it works!

1 Like

Thanks @jeffbowman – the change is underway. When it’s finished, the button will change color. At that point, unfortunately, you will need to reconnect to Wi-Fi:

1. Turn the unit off, then on
  2. Hold down the button for 10 seconds until it turns teal (if it doesn’t automatically)
  3. Navigate to http://app.glowforge.com/setup
  4. Follow the on screen instructions
    If you run into any trouble along the way, please let me know!
6 Likes

Success! The light turned green on its own, it reconnected to Wi-Fi just fine, and we got our first couple cuts. I’d love to know which switch you flipped, but understand if you can’t say. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help! We’re all set to go now.

-Jeff

9 Likes

Hmm. Two posts, one said teal, the other green. Now personally I’m one of those that would be happy with only 8 colors in a box of Crayola’s. But got me thinking… Wonder how many GF owners are color blind? Definitely need to move toward useful text error messages.

1 Like

Plus how many people know what colour teal is or ever use it to describe something?

1 Like

Honestly (and not being snarky or sexist or anything else here) I would venture to guess that all or most of the female users - and a decent % of men as well - would be able to do so.

Though I agree that sticking to basic colors might be ideal in this situation :wink:

4 Likes

Yes just checked with my wife and she said bluey green so perhaps its just me. It seems to be half intensity cyan.

1 Like

I believe you are quite correct. Certainly, any artists or designers or painters here, as well as those who give any thought to their wardrobe color choices (or are ever asked by their partner if X, Y, or Z color looks good on them), or seriously look at options for painting this room or that, or…

2 Likes

Nope, my husband wouldn’t get it either :wink:

As @rand said, artists/designers/creatives may know and distinguish between detailed/ nuanced colors. So perhaps the difference in perspective is not necessarily gender based, so much as whether the person is more of a creative or logical thinker.

Yes I think they must have chosen it to match their logo but it isn’t a good choice for a status indication.

1 Like

What are y’all talking about? This is teal.

518BB4F5-9424-4B27-AF95-83CCE10FD970

5 Likes

They are not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

To be clear: After Rita’s change, with no intervention on my part, the button turned green. I restarted the Glowforge, held the unlit button, and the button turned a pulsating teal the way it did the last few times I reconnected it to the network. The button was very clearly solid green after the change (firmware update?), and blue-green “breathing” after I restarted it and held the button (for it to turn on its configuration hotspot).

Your point stands about the color code being somewhat in the eye of the beholder, and subject to color blindness and perception, but I used two names because there were two colors I saw.

5 Likes

I’m glad to hear you’re up and printing, @jeffbowman.

Thank you to everyone else for the feedback.

This is a special case. Typically, the only colors you should see are teal (your Glowforge is broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal) and yellow (check app.glowforge.com).

3 Likes