Stuck on Scanning/Centering after replacing black ribbon lid cable

I’ve been hit with the dreaded Scanning/Centering issue after the warranty ended. Payed the $30 for the ribbon cable they redesigned to be longer. My LEDs never flickered, so I didn’t think that was the problem. My Glowforge hasn’t seen much use, so my first thought went to it being a software update issue. I notice they close all the treads about the problem before any reports of people getting it fixed. I’ve also seen odd mentions of people getting it to cut by not being logged in before turning the device on. That doesn’t sound like a cable. Currently waiting for support to evaluate new photos sent to confirm my replacement went OK. I asked them to check my logs for use and got no comment.

They close threads without a resolution when they are duplicate support tickets – it means the person emailed them AND posted in Problems and Support (which also opens a ticket). In those cases, they continue via email. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, you’ve done all the right things, so waiting until you hear back from them is your best bet now. While the lid cable going out is the most common and least costly problem, it could also be something else which they might have to take the machine apart to find and fix. It’s different for each situation. I hope not, but wait to hear what they recommend, and good luck. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Jules. I tried the hotspot with my phone just now. That isn’t it.

1 Like

We’ve found that your unit has a problem that we can’t solve remotely, but our team would be happy to assist by evaluating your unit for repair. Unfortunately, the warranty that came with your purchase has expired. If you would like to send us your Glowforge, we can have a technician make a physical assessment and then we can provide an estimate of the repair costs.

The cost of a repair typically ranges from $400 to $1000. Once our technicians finish their inspection, I’ll be able to share the precise number.

If you’re interested, here is how it would work:

1. We’ll send you a round-trip shipping invoice. Our full price round-trip shipping is $498, but I’ve received permission to extend you a courtesy discount, so the cost will be $200 (not including tax).
  2. Once the invoice is paid, we’ll follow up with shipping labels so you can send your Glowforge back to us. We’ll make the necessary repairs, and ship it back to you.
  3. If you’d like to proceed, please let us know if you need to update your shipping address or if the address on your account is up to date.
3 Likes

Uh-oh! Well, hope it’s an easy fix. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Dang.

This has been another issue historically, getting the information as to exactly what the repair entailed.

2 Likes

Hi @thanos2001,

I see that my co0lleague Veronica has already sent you an email in regards to this issue.

I am closing this thread, and Veronica will be back in touch as soon as she is available.