Stupid simple steel holder

I have a magnetic knife holder mounted on pivot hinges underneath a cabinet over a workspace. The one thing that’s been driving me nuts is the steel won’t stay put - being round, it rolls off with the slightest nudge.

I finally spent a moment coming up with a way to keep it in-place. The slots in the side pieces are ever-so-slightly angled so the front and back pieces “snap” it onto the knife holder. Works like a charm!

(“Purebond” 5/32" Maple ply.)

45 Likes

Satisfying.

5 Likes

An annoyance eliminated. Nice practical cut.

3 Likes

Looks really handy.

3 Likes

Lovely!

Now, do you get the silver rub’n’buff so it matches? :smiley:

4 Likes

That works like a charm!! Great design.

3 Likes

I actually thought about that, or paint, but it can’t be seen unless you bend over and peek under the cabinet, so I’ll just let it be.

The handles just poke out from the front edge of the cabinet so the whole “system” is pretty stealth, and hugely convenient. I’m a cook, and accessibility to my knives matters…

4 Likes

Why the heck did “jestelle” edit my post??

Tags?

2 Likes

Great solution!

2 Likes

Cool! Love those practical cuts.

2 Likes

Nice job!

2 Likes

Beautifully simple solution.

2 Likes

I was wondering why your picture was so eccentricly angled until I read the text and realized that the knives are right under the cabinet bottoms, like a hidden unfolding spice rack! Now I kind of wish I had though of that when we added a magnet bar to the wall – the cabinets are so low that the longest knife hits the counter :laughing:

1 Like

Mine sits above a Blendtec and (vertical) paper-towel holder (you can just see the top of that on the left) - leaving plenty of space on the counter. I’ve had wall-mounted and you can’t use the back of the counter for much else.

Plus a steel won’t hold on a wall-mounted steel. At least, not on any I’ve had.

These are the hinges I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018A36II6/

The steel mounts to the little tabs, and the sides are bolted to small right-angle brackets from the hardware store. It can fold up completely or down to vertical, but it holds nice at the perfect angle so the handles are easily accessible, and I never move it.

3 Likes

“blendtec blender- will it blend”

Loved those commercial vids. Glow sticks, phones, skis, anything and everything they could get in there they did.

1 Like