Stuttering

Something’s wrong… All of a sudden I’m not getting smooth X-axis motion. At least not consistently. I’ve uploaded a video showing what I’m describing: https://youtu.be/wmruGK-R-Zk

You’ll see the “stutter” at:
0:00:03
0:00.07
0:00:48
0:01:01
You can even hear it. It almost sounds like it’s hitting something, but there’s nothing to hit.

With the machine off, the head moves from edge to edge with no resistance at any point.

Anybody see anything like this before?

1 Like

That is very odd. Very subtle, but it’s there. I hope someone can give you more insight than I can. Nice to see you again, Tom.

5 Likes

Hi Tom!
I have no idea. At a loss, I might remove the belt and with the power off see if by turning the stepper back and forth by hand you can feel an anomaly. :thinking:

4 Likes

I’d check the belt for a cracked/missing tooth.

3 Likes

If you cut a 45 degree parallelagram you should see a visual of the situation, if the lines diverge that implies slipping, if not it mught be crud on the belt or similar.

3 Likes

Yeah nothing unusual about the belt that I can see.

2 Likes

I’ve done a couple of engraves and cuts since that one and NO ISSUE! I’m wondering if it was an odd software issue? An issue with the file that caused some sort of screwy pathing? Is that even possible? I suppose I could attempt to run that job again and see if I see the same result. I imagine Glowforge might be interested in it if it does the same thing.

5 Likes

No such luck. Tonight’s job has the same stuttering effect.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t get it. Last couple of jobs, no issues. SO strange.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.