Succesful stainless steel flask engraving / marking!

Yeah exactly. It is an inch thick though so I had to take the bed of the GF out and kinda build it up to the right height and pretend it was only .5inch thick haha

I taped the top and bottom just for measuring purposes and taped over the top shiny part so it didn’t reflect the laser or something. Wasn’t sure what would happen so just taped it to he safe.

1 Like

Are you using inkscape to create your lettering? I’m referring to the lettering like in “Lil Bastard.” If so and you want to avoid that overlap in the “script” type lettering use the “union” option. That should give you full fill in the lettering as it will now be considered as one object rather than multiple overlapping objects (letters).

Thank you! Yes I’m very new to inkscape and have been wondering how to do that.

1 Like

There are TONS of tutorials on youtube for almost anything you’re trying to do in Inkscape. That’s how I was able to figure it out. Another “work around” I’ll call it that I’ve used is taking a screen shot of the image so it’s now just a JPG and using that to engrave. It won’t know there are individual objects.

2 Likes

You are the best! I was fully intending to have a sacrificial spatula but decided to start with your settings. First try no problems. Looks amazing. Thank you for posting

5 Likes

Sorry for the late reply… Im happy I could help and so glad I posted about this when I did. Thank you for message.

So where do you sell the proof grade flask you advertise on the website. Maybe you need to get better people that experiment more with the laser to see what it can do. And maybe stop false advertising it on a metal flask. How does that sound?

I believe the coated flasks that Glowforge uses in the demos are from Amazon.
(They are engraving off a powder coat on those.)

I’ll be sure to pass that on the next time they ask me for my opinion about it. :rofl:

2 Likes

What is the point of this point?

1 Like

I think there is the mistaken idea that @jules works for Glowforge. Granted she’s posted enough over the years to have earned it but she doesn’t. Staff have a staff label, not an owner, regular, or blank spot.

Dang nabbit @discourse!!! I want to have the whole last post quoted. It’s all there is!!! Stop editing me!

2 Likes

Perhaps by the time you actually figure out how to use your Glowforge you will realize that other than proofgrade materials can be used.

1 Like

Thanks for the information and links. Do you get the water-based or alcohol-based cermark?

I don’t recall, just ordered it from amazon

How do you get the color other than black

Welcome to the forum.

I believe Cermark only marks black. You can buy colored flasks and engrave off the color so that the design shows in the sterling undercoat.

1 Like

After further thought, here is something that you may find helpful regarding colors: https://www.jpplus.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=cermark

1 Like

what were your settings? Did you use cermark? If not, what did you use?

1 Like

I used a different product than cermark, after watching videos comparing a bunch. (I do more stainless steel bottle openers vs flasks)

(Memories of Family trips before Shelter-in-place)
I am very happy with the LBT laserbond 100.

this was a good video comparison youtube video

4 Likes

Amen to that, brother!