Hello! I am suddenly having trouble cutting all the way through some 1/2 in. maple. I have, through trial and error, found settings that cut through the wood entirely and cleanly enough that I like it a lot, and have used those settings successfully for 5 different projects. Now, I am not getting quite through the wood! Id say its 98% cutting through. The wood I am trying to cut through is flat, and is literally from the same board I successfully cut through previously. I have even played with my settings to at least get it to cut through fully, but it still wont cut through, playing with power just chars it up more, but still wont cut through. Am I missing something? Something update that I wasnt aware of? Thanks!
If it worked previously, and the material is exactly the same you might want to clean all of your optics. Cutting any wood that is 1/2" is a challenge, and it seems this is non proofgrade material so I’m not sure Glowforge support is going to address this as a problem.
I’m sorry that your prints did not turn out as expected. @dklgood is right; since these results are on materials provided by other vendors, I don’t have any guidance. I would like to have you do a quick test for me though. Could you please do the following?
- Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
- We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with the shipment of your materials for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
- Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.
- When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
- Check the completed print:
- If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print
- If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.
- If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.
Thank you for the assistance. I have cleaned all optics/mirrors/cameras and ran the gift of good measure. It cut with no problem. Loaded my 1/2" wood project and attempted a cut, to no avail. Still having the same issue. I have sent a note to support.
If it cut the GOGM with no issue, then the problem is not with the machine, and as 1/2" maple is not proofgrade material, support is not going to be able to do much more to help. You’re going to need to work on your settings again.
Except I did work on my settings. Exhaustively. And completed my tests with great results ending in products that were near perfect right after the cut. Literally one day between a successfully cut project and the settings not working. Not sure how thats the settings and not an issue with the machine. I have even gone back to play with settings, more power, different speeds, etc and they all cut through the material about to the point where my original perfected settings are now cutting(wrongly) except that they char the top of the wood more, which makes no sense, they should cut all the way through with more power no? All I am saying is that nothing has changed on my end between successful cuts and unsuccessful cuts(literally the same piece of wood!) so I cant see how this is a problem with settings.
I don’t disagree, but all I can do is re-emphasize: the machine is designed to work under certain specifications. If it meets those specifications (specifically, “prints” the GOGM on PG material) then support is not going to be able to do much more.
Regarding your material, I have seen “identical” pieces of the “same” material behave very differently, and it’s frustrating as heck. That’s just the nature of working with natural materials.
I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.