Suddenly needed a dice tower

My Son is into board games (I saw Robot Turtles in his games) and was going to build him a dice tower, but on this latest visit he showed me a box for rolling, about 10" square 2" high that must have had hard rubber or something in the base (fabric or felt covered) that put energy into the dice. They bounced like the would on granite, but the sound was soft. I really liked it, and no need for a tower anymore.

6 Likes

I was at my second nerd/gaming/comic/card convention today… And my dice tower book boxes sold out in the first 2 hours.

15 Likes

that’s awesome!

1 Like

You never really know what you need until you have a Glowforge. Quick and dirty projects can be the most fulfilling. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

8 Likes

Ok - total newbie here. I see that that file comes in everything but an svg file. I have photoshop and inkscape. Do you think it is do-able with those? Again - total newbie so please be kind :slight_smile:

Yes, you should be able to open the DXF file in Inkscape and then save it as a plain SVG. :grinning:

You’re right, and I just contacted the designer about the listing on Etsy. In the meantime, @jules is correct – converting the DXF to SVG in Inkscape is easy.

So I bought it, have it in inkscape, just need to resize it (the dxf file was tiny) and hope for the best :slight_smile:

You should not have to resize it. When you open the DXF in Inkscape, you should see something like this…

Make sure that Manual scale is selected with a factor of 1.0. I think the document properties need to specify millimeters as the default units, too (I’m not an Inkscaper).

Best of luck – I have meetings the rest of the day so won’t be online.

Thanks - I found my error…I missed the radio button for Auto scaling to A4. After unchecking it all is well

Great! Can’t wait to see how your’s comes out!

Btw, I contacted the seller on Etsy and he’s in the process of updating the file to include the SVG version.

1 Like

Thanks I just found a few great designs on Etsy.

Amazing. I have a quick question for you. I am very new at the whole creating things. I bought the dice tower pattern that you linked. Will I have to do anything else to the pattern to make it work right away on the Glowforge? If so please let me know what I need to do. I have a few People in my D&D game that I would love to make them for. Thank you again

I didn’t do anything other than set the decorative cutouts to “ignore” (didn’t wan’t/need them in this case). The only critical step is to make sure the material thickness matches. In this case, the pattern called for 3.2mm thick ply which is just a hair more than 1/8" – worked perfectly for me.

2 Likes

@bruceaulrich Lol, I was thinking the same thing. I am intrigued by this new fangled dice tower technology, however.

1 Like