Suggested Brand Industrial CNC Machine?

How do you like your Handibot? The work area is small but after the GF arrives I’m pretty much outta space for big gear anyway. I’m dying to add some kind of carving capability to my toolbox.

3 Likes

I love it! I totally agree with you that a 6x8"work area is too limited but I am beta testing a 24" extended Y axis. More on this in a week or two.

If you don’t want to use a fourth axis or have dynamic Z, then the Shaper Origin is something to consider as well. The Origin should be shipping this fall unless it runs into delays.

2 Likes

I’ve used both a Shapopko and a ShopBot. The shopbot with a vacuum hold down system worked really well. I would recommended it wholeheartedly.

1 Like

I, as well as a few others on this forum are on the order list for Shaper Origin. So far they are still targeting September 2017 delivery.

2 Likes

Looks like a top notch brand. Unfortunately the machine is much outside the budget but thank you for this suggestion

1 Like

I really like the idea of building and ease of upgrade. The cost is much less and you can buy what you need to run it. Does this type of set up you have square / recalibrate the alignment often? My friend would like something low maintenance other then standard wear and tear

These are great machines, I seen their plasma and water jet cutters with my suppliers at my day job (I work in manufacturing) however the machines for the size my friend’s needs is $70Kcdn. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

@cindyhodesigns I have purchased parts from them but won’t acquire their 4824 machine for a couple more months. I have a lighter weight home built machine that is based on similar extruded aluminum rail technology. I have never had any alignment problems with my lighter rail machine nor ever had to square it once assembled.

Aw… legacy is the one but it’s $65K. Something to consider when an upgrade is needed

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll ask him to look at this one. This option might be a good fit for him

Yeah, the Gemini with all the bells and whistles is $65K. That’s why I’m looking at the Maverick which is in your friend’s price range but with a slightly smaller bed size. If 4’ x 8’ is essential, I’d go back to the ShopBot.

Please keep us posted on what direction your friend decides to go.

1 Like

@cindyhodesigns In my last response I was referring to the frame build for squareness and structural rigidity with aluminum rails. If you were referring to realignment and referencing, that is handled by the software. Mach 3 Control Software, one of the common ones used, has that capability if you have the limit swathes / sensors installed on the machine. When the machine returns home, the control software recalculates its home position based on the sensors.

Typically, stepper motor machines do not have feedback loops. They simply count steps to determine location.

Higher cost machines use servos that know where they are at all times. ShopBot has developed a stepper motor that has feedback loop capability if that is important to you. Of course, they ad cost to the product and complexity to understand and repair.

3 Likes

It seems that your friend is actually looking for what is called a CNC Router. These are often used to do the kind of work your friend is talking about. They tend to cost less than CNC Milling machines, but do essentially the same thing. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! My friend is a set it and forget it type of guy but there is a lot of pros to this set up since it can be sized up when needed. It will be an option when I go through the research with him

I think size is that important for him but i will show him the maverick. Here where we live there is a makerspace that actually has a shop bot aand they hold 101 level classes. I’m thinking of taking a class with my friend there to get a feel for it. I’m nervous as honestly I do not have the experience like all of you and a test drive like this will help determine if he wants to go all in or start with something smaller.

1 Like

Personal opinion (as always) is that if you are dropping that kind of $$ into a cnc router then size is very important. An 8X4 will allow dropping full sheets of ply onto the bed without trimming.

4 Likes

Neither did we @cindyhodesigns until we took the first step!!! Good luck! Learning is fun! And there is lots to learn!!!

5 Likes