Suggestion: Button should stop laser

I agree, it should pause (assuming resume is trivial). If some users don’t want that to occur, that’s fine, it should simply be an option users can enable or disable.

Everybody has an equal chance of suggesting something nobody else wants.

One person, one non-binding vote.

4 Likes

I just tested it. If it’s unplugged before you start printing, it does all the scanning and processing and looks like it’s about to let you start, and then pops up a generic error message. If you’re in the middle of a print and disconnect it, it cancels the print and returns home with no message, as if you had clicked the cancel button. That explains why a few people have had mysterious prints that cancel themselves in the middle. Loose staple. P.S. for @rpegg: mine is in there pretty tight, it’s not going to fall out on its own.

If you have a high tolerance for boredom, it’s all here.

6 Likes

Or if you’ve got an extra fan in your exhaust line you can get one of the ones where hitting the off paddle turns off the main outlet but lets the fan run for another 30 seconds (I use them on panel saws, etc so a vacuum attached can clear the hoses of sawdust when shutting down). Then you’d get the extended run time of the exhaust that might help clear things - under normal mode that’s good but in an emergency not sure you want to keep sucking air into it although opening the lid is going to flood it with air anyway.

1 Like

I like the idea of pressing the button pausing the job, assuming that pressing it again resumes it.

The button is way too easy to press accidentally (it’s huge, lit up, and sticks up) for it to potentially abort a several-hour job. Aborting a job should be hard to do, so it’s only done when people really mean it. Like hitting a big red button that’s mounted on the wall (i.e. an E-Stop), or doing something unusual like holding it down for a long time, or tapping a pattern. Probably with a color change involved, just to make it even more obvious.

2 Likes

Definitely oughta be a sequence of “Dot, dot, dot. Dash, dash, dash. Dot, dot, dot.”

3 Likes

Definitely oughta be a sequence of “Dot, dot, dot. Dash, dash, dash. Dot, dot, dot.”

Brilliant!

Thank you for your suggestion! I’ll pass this on to the team.

By the way, regarding the magic staple- it’s electrical, not mechanical, so you can indeed replace it with a switch. Might be a good topic for a new thread.

1 Like