Suggestions for unwarping plywood?

My latest batch of ply has quite a warp on it, corner to corner. What’s the best way of de-warping plywood?

Plenty of info if you search the web (Google)…

Generally applying a little moisture, then laying on a flat surface with weight above it, i.e. all your other materials. Not sure how that would work with masked Proofgrade.

All my material is stored in a large stack, over a foot tall, on a flat surface. It’s a little inconvenient to rummage thru for certain things, but at least everything stays flat.

13 Likes

Those big 24"x24" tiles are very flat and rather heavy. If you have tile-terry cloth-damp plywood-terrycloth-tile and perhaps an anvil on top or other heavy object left a few weeks and it will be flat. :grin:

As the tile is impervious, the flat cloth will allow the water to escape.

1 Like

I place a moist paper towel between warped sheets (with the warps away from each other) and then place them in a heated press (like ones used to apply transfers to clothing) for a few hours. I will heat the press to about 150 degrees and after an hour or two I turn off the heat and let it return to room temperature. For long term storage I do as @eflyguy does.

4 Likes

Stacking flat in good! The heat press is better if you have one. Storing the tiles on top of the stack keeps the top of the stack flat too.

I also got several stackable short trays to organize the material and keep the humidity constant and any possible bugs out.

1 Like

I have a 12x18" piece of aluminum 2" thick that I place on top. Short term, I have some plastic bread racks used to keep bread from being damaged in transport that I keep an assortment of material in by the GF.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions. These were all supplied warped, I do keep them stacked flat.

I shall have to try adding some damp towels and find a heavy weight or two!

Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.