Support - NOT GETTING A REPLY - Failed Hinge

Submited email to support about my lid detaching at the hinge. Got a reply that evening.
Was told that it would be replaced with a refurbished unit, I reply with questions concerning gettting a refurbished unit and not a new one. Will the refurbished unit have a new laser tube new, new mirrors, new lens, etc. No reply since WED. Support agent name is Jazmine. So if you are seeing this Jazmine please respond. I would like to get my unit replaced sooner that later…

1 Like

FYI, posting this opens another ticket with GF. Creating multiple tickets can actually slow down response, so I expect that GF will close this when they see it.

From what I’ve experienced, and seen in the forum, it usually takes a few days once you’re notified of the need for a replacement before you see additional communications; the GF support team seems to be somewhat overwhelmed. The replacement units usually ship and are received relatively quickly, depending on your location.

1 Like

Former engineer here; I actually prefer refurbished things; rate of failure is highest in new items. Refurbished ones are past the peak failure period AND have been thoroughly checked out twice instead of just once, so you’re much more assured of having a solid, reliable unit. :slight_smile:

Hang in there; it’s really hard to wait (and I speak from experience, having had my own unit replaced recently), but it does take a few days to get everything set in motion.

3 Likes

Good points. I would also add that I’ve found the Glowforge team to be amazing at their warranty replacement response rates. It’s not cheap to do what they do. They clearly know that their brand is built by such actions. Kudos to them.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, do you know if they pop in a new laser tube on the refurbished units. I couldn’t image they would send a unit with a used tube. That’s my major concern.

I doubt it. Your warranty doesn’t start over when you get a replacement, either. But it should have approximately the same amount of remaining life as the old one would have, so I didn’t consider it an issue.

2 Likes

I’m with ya. Very much doubt it has a new tube; but that’s not an official line from Support. Just me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting–since some users will put significantly more hours on their devices than others, you could get a unit with very little use, or nearly all the tube life already used… So hope at least they have a way to verify if there’s at least 50% life left on the tube or something… Especially since they should be able to determine the run hours on any unit since it goes thru their system to run !

1 Like

Thank you for the help everyone! @jentfah, we’ve emailed you with a bit more details and are happy to answer your questions there.