SVGs for Fabric Facemask -- Work in Progress, would love feedback

Hey folks – if you’re interested in making a mask for yourself, or for one of the charities asking for them right now, I’ve created SVGs to cut the main panels for four different sizes – these are based on the publicly posted design at the link below, which includes assembly instructions too. To be clear, these instructions also expect that there’s an interior layer of batting that adds additional filtering, plus the elastic that fits around the ears. I’m just trying to address the main structure.

The inner line (purple) should be cut first because once the pattern is fully cut, the fabric may be blown around by the fan. Use a very light setting – I ran tests at 500/15 and 500/20. It’s only there to be a guide for future stitching and to lightly burn the size into each piece.

The outer line (colored black) is the cut line of the pattern and I recommend you cut at full power, adjusting the speed depending on what kind of fabric you’re using.

I’m better at vector work than I am at sewing, so if anyone makes one, I’d love to know how it went. Good luck.

All_Masks

22 Likes

This is cool. But I’m curious how scoring the stichline impacts the integrity of the fabric.

Same question. At 500/20 it wasn’t even strong enough for me to be able to pull the top layers of thread apart when I tried, it’s just lightly burning a line in there. The question is if it’s enough to be useful – my sewing instincts are poor, so I like having a target line to follow.

2 Likes

what kind of fabric is being used, Leather or something else?

I was also trying to find out what the best fabric was to use for these facemasks. Apparently, some healthcare workers are putting the DYI masks over the their ‘good ones’ (can’t remember how they’re designated).
But, also I found this;

5 Likes

thanks been looking for this your amazing!!!

1 Like

thanks been needing and looking for this!!!

Does the glowforge cut fabric without burning it. Would like to know before I try. It would be useful to know these things. Cause if I can use my forge to help out right now I will.

Thank you for this file! I agree with having the score line to stitch over. I didn’t do well with the sewing portion in home economics. I’m showing my age here, but that’s okay. I’m sure I can make these with the little extra help. Thank you so much and stay safe everyone!

yes, the forge will cut the fabric I tested it at full power and 500 speed just remember to use magnets to hold the fabric down the cotton fabric I used was .011" thick.