Switch Console Holder for charging

A friend of mine asked if I could make something for her son - b/c evidently he’s destroyed two charged in the last couple months. Those who are familiar w/ the pain of Nintendo’s decision to put the charge port at the bottom - now here’s a solution

My very first “modular” piece - I started w/ one of the free designs here for a phone - but realized it needed more stability. I tried my hand in inkspace - a few simple shapes, using the “difference” tool, I made my own! :slight_smile: Measured slots at .118 for acrylic

If you’re interested in adjusting for your material, please keep in mind you need to compensate for kerf!
Slots are grouped together, and easily adjustable in Inkscape!

switchholder-118 acrylic
Drive link

43 Likes

Nice! I think I can work with this! Thanks!!

1 Like

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing :slight_smile:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Upon further inspection, I should make the cutout square so that it’s flush. I’ll update the file when I revise it!

1 Like

Great job! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Updated to make the connections flush, and increase the slot width to .130 to give a little when connecting the two pieces

Very nice!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! And congrats on growing your design skills!

1 Like

nice! If you decide to keep iterating, maybe add a little notch front bottom center, so the cord can slip under and behind (and be kind of captured so it stays in place when the switch is removed) instead of snaking around to the side.

2 Likes

wondering here what would be the best “aesthetically appealing” adding the notch. A notch on the side? In the middle to snake it in? I finally got the cuts correct for .118 acrylic (will update soon)

1 Like

My tv and game systems and stuff are on stand, all cords snake backwards into and behind the stand for power distribution and I/O, so if it were for me, I would put the notch (or slot or whatever) in the middle, so that it could exit out the back and not be visible or in the way. But not everyone has their stuff setup like I do. A hooked notch on the side might do exactly what the blue tape is doing now. A small u-shaped acrylic piece (with two matching holes in the body of the stand) might be another option.

2 Likes

as an update :slight_smile:
I’ve updated the original file for .118 acrylic
This also looks great in wood. I have a feeling this will be a big hit on my Etsy shop

4 Likes

I like the wood ones too. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this!! My son and 5 of my 7 nephews all have switches. The only reason the other 2 don’t have one is that they are 3 and 1. I love being the cool aunt!

1 Like

I just updated the file - I had to adjust… again :slight_smile:
Now i made the slits adjustable so it’s easier to edit in inkscape :slight_smile:

Thank you!! When I sent your pic to my SIL, she said the 3 yr old is getting the switch lite at the end of the month for his b-day. I really appreciate you designing this!

1 Like

whats your friend code. lol

1575-0778-0789 :slight_smile: