Taiwanese DC-6040-N Laser

I am having a heck of a time trying to pin down anything that looks legitimate like 50 different hits on ebay. is there a solid link for any of this. alos found lots of upgrades etc… anyone have anything firm ?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/260825065645?_mwBanner=1
And if you need upgrade parts lightobject.info. if you decide to swap out the brains just do an eBay or alibaba search for smoothieware. With all the upgrades applied, you could spend more than a pro gf and it would still lack the promised functionality. Is just something to get me through till the real deal arrives

1 Like

12" x 8" seems just barely big enough to me, but I guess if it’s just being used for getting started then something is better than nothing. Maybe I’m just being too ambitious with the sizes of things I want to make.

1 Like

You can take the exhaust assist tube out and have a lot more room. It’s much bigger than you would think. Until the crate arrives.

1 Like

At less than 400, wonder what their 40w replacement tube is.

1 Like

I think the tubes are $230. I saw a link for them once.

1 Like

If one is savvy, I have seen them for 90. But the ship is slow and the chances of getting a broken tube high. Better off just to part it out and order a new one. Most sellers are offering 2 or 3 year ‘warranty’

1 Like

does it work with any vector file types, it only mentions bitmap file types and how does it differentiate between engrave and cut mode based on file type?

You have to specify cut lines or engrave lines. If you use adobe illustrator you can import ai v9 directly into the laserdrw. You can also import the standard formats for engraving. But you are locked to their software (which is old and sketchy) and a dongle key that must be plugged in whenever you want to do anything with the laser. Of course the board is what I heard at least an easy swap. You can set engrave and cut jobs but you do have to acknowledge that the first job is finished and to start the next. The software is very limiting.

1 Like

Cheaper. Like, about $150 or so.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEmUXELTSVZ/
My tribute to Prince. Painted as soon as I got the news. Just wanted to share.

10 Likes

Looks like if you send them an extra $112 they will insure it against breakage or loss during the shipping process. Now that’s confidence.

3 Likes

hahaha… yeah, I read that too and giggled. That’s not even the half of it, they sounded VERY confident it would break:

Insurance fee(optional):$112.8 USD . If it is insured, you will get full refunded once the packing is broken or lost.

Talk about foregone conclusions… :smiley:
I wonder if they realize that many credit cards have coverage for breakage of purchases.

Even cheaper is this store in Alibaba. At least you get a photo of what the packaging will look like, so you know what you’re in for. Crushed glass and dreams.

1 Like

Bear in mind that not all watts are created equal. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The total tonnage of what I don’t know about lasers is diminishing, but would still sink a good sized boat.
Thanks for the help.

The more I have learned about the engineering of your product, the less inclined I am to hack on it.

That <$400 unit is something I could eviscerate without guilt. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

That’s really beautiful. Is it acrylic? I’ve always loved the color purple, so anything that utilizes that color is a hit with me. A little known fact (I think) about Prince…he was a diminutive 5’ 2".

1 Like

Yes! THIS!!! This is why I’m naming my Glowforge laser, iForge!

The minute the Glowforge video popped up on my Facebook page and I watched it, I was immediately struck by the parallels. I took my iPad downstairs to show hubby the video, saying, “This is the iPhone of lasers! I want one!” :grin:

4 Likes

Indeed he was very small. Maybe that’s why he wore heels? And the canvas is done with acrylic. I did it out on the patio off my studio. It was raining here that day and I cranked up Purple Rain. I was done at the end if the song. During the wind down riff of that song the wind picked up a little and the maple tree released several seed that came twirling around me as if choreographed to the song. It was a beautiful moment. And the rain continued. I was covered in paint. The grass out there still purple. Friends on facebook started requesting I do more song inspired paintings. I felt like s dj spinning tunes. But the intensity of the moment had been blown away by the wind. I painted three that day. But none holds the essence of that moment more than this one.
Oh. And I gave it away.

6 Likes

That “feel” of the music, it can be magical. Raise the hair on your arms.

2 Likes

What version of Windoze are you running that K40 with?
If I order it today, it looks like it won’t arrive until next Monday, and I’m at a conference all next week,I don’t want it sitting outside on the front porch all week. In the meantime I’ll need to get Windowze up and running on a Mac.