Taking so long to Focus

Why does it take so long to focus when you are wanting to start a new project… like several minutes… I have tried turning machine on and off as well as computer…

Hi @frontporchdesignsnc I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been running into some trouble with your Glowforge as it tries to focus. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633614-Cleaning#things-that-need-wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply

2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration

3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

If you run into any trouble with the steps, or continued issues during focusing, let me know and I’ll be happy to continue troubleshooting this with you. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.