Tardis Nightlight

Made of plywood and semi transparent white acrylic. The blue LEDs on the inside are flicker flame style so they look like blue candle light. The light on top is solid white. I used Ultra Dye for the color, which is a really good match.

My original design was going to have doors that open, but the inside ended up being too small to do anything fun with. I was also working towards a scale that would fit on a single sheet of birch ply.

Eventually I went with solid doors and replaced the engraves on the front doors.

I have a second one that was covered in blue card stock, which I will assemble later on this weekend. I expect I will miss the woodgrain but we shall see.

80 Likes

Wow, such great detail!! You did an amazing job!

8 Likes

Ran outta likes for today, absolutely love this. Awesome work.

8 Likes

How did you do the white light on top?

4 Likes

Really Awesome!

5 Likes

I adore this creation - well done!

4 Likes

Ooh, that TARDIS turned out great!

4 Likes

The white light is 3 layers of the semi-transparent acrylic; two cylinders and a solid circle for the top. The sections were lined up on a 1/4 inch wooden rod and glued with this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HNFLMY

It seems to work well for acrylic, and it doesn’t stick to the wood at all, so it pulls off the wooden rod easily. However, I would note that while it says it is " Medium Bodied" it tends to run out of the tube like water with little to no pressure and can be a bit messy.

10 Likes

Beautiful work

2 Likes

I LOVE this!!

2 Likes

So cool, and it doubles as an extra storage room.

11 Likes

Nice work! Love the blue color.

6 Likes

I’m confused by this claim. Surely a TARDIS is much bigger on the inside!

16 Likes

Sadly our level of tech hasn’t quite caught up to the Gallifeyian level of universe bending just yet.

4 Likes

Maybe @dan can put that in the hopper!

5 Likes

Extradimensional Glowforge that is 4x8’ on the inside would be great. #HOPPER

7 Likes

Okay, maybe some things we have are much larger on the inside than we think…

2 Likes

Shhhhh…no one is supposed to know that the hopper is a Tardis. Dan’s been stuffing so much in there over the past 4 years you’d think people would be wise to it, but until now there hasn’t been a leak. Sheesh.

8 Likes

I tried a version with Blue paper covering the plywood, but I like the weathered look of the dye. Also the paper tends to scratch easily.

13 Likes

I’d love to have the skill to make this for my grandson. His whole room is Tardis themed.

4 Likes