Techshop bankruptcy

That sounds amazing. Where is it?

I would love access to a clean room, just so I can apply screen protectors without dust bubbles…

1 Like

Looks like the locals in St Louis are also coming to the rescue:

1 Like

I’m happy to hear these companies supporting these Makers. Form2 by FormLabs will probably be my next acquisition after my Glowforge has gone through some passes around the circuit.

It’s in CT. The “clean lab” isn’t a clean room though - it’s “not the dirty dusty sawdust filled lab across the hall” kind of clean :slight_smile: That’s where we have the 3D printers, laser, CNC (in an enclosure w/vacuum dust collection), glass bead area and large format vinyl plotter/cutter. The electronics lab is a separate room and also kept debris free for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m someone who is now without the tech shop here in Detroit due to this fiasco (and yes, I’ve heard from another member more in the know and it is possible someone higher up months ago knew this would be happening) and still waiting for my glow forge to show up (my account says Jan. 9th) so I’m out of luck for access to the lasers. I purchased on Oct 22, 2015, probably no hope of being moved up or any kickback the way it reads? And stinks does not even begin to cover it!

Thank you.

The San Jose techshop stayed pretty busy (esp. laser cutters/engravers). Unfortunately, I don’t think we have any sort of replacement yet (there are a couple maker spaces in SF, but nothing really in South Bay).

I was interested in joining techshop and learning some new things - but then they cut back on their classes, and all that was left was simple stuff I already know (well, except for how to use the embroidery machine).

Glad to see some companies supporting the former techshop members with some discounts. I know several of them are now tool-less and some don’t even have their materials (in a locker at the shop).

3 Likes

To be honest, that one surprised and delighted me most.

I’m EXTREMELY lucky that my Pro shipping coincided with everything in that I just got my shipping notice, so I’m only out of business for a week.

As an avid TechShop community member, I can tell you we’re devastated. I’m watching a few Facebook groups and we’re trying to do whatever we can with other local makerspaces. In Phoenix, a lot of the maker community has stepped up and in to help get projects completed. (I’m even looking at renovations to see if I can host a small makerspace at my home. That’s how we are.)

So, thank you for a little beacon of light during our dark times.

10 Likes

Those offers are amazingly generous! Thank you to Dan and the others who made it possible.

I was fortunate enough to receive my Glowforge pro days before the announcement and already have a CNC router on the way as well because our volume had started exceeding what we could comfortably do at techshop… Though I also was planning to spend this weekend over there using the larger lasers to make some custom jigs for the GF and cutting some wood and acrylic down to size… Now I’ll just have to make due with what I’ve got on hand.

It could be a lot worse — some people’s personal tools and in-progress projects, or even client property, are now completely inaccessible to them as the doors were chained up fairly quickly and the bankruptcy trustee isn’t actually responding to emails.

It’s a huge blow to the maker community, made even worse by the horrid communication (or utter lack thereof) to their members.

4 Likes

Oh! I did have a question on specifics:

At Glowforge, we are making our desktop lasers available at an exclusive lower price for TechShop alum. We will refund $500 for the Glowforge Basic and $1,000 for the Glowforge Pro. To redeem after purchase, email proof of membership (current as of 11/15/17) to support@glowforge.com and we’ll immediately credit the account. This offer is also good retroactively to any alum who purchased a Glowforge within the past 6 months. This offer is good through December 31st, 2017.

Ok - so, does this mean that TechShop members purchasing between now and Dec 31 also get that $500-$1k off? (I know I’m out because I purchased mine 2 years ago, but I have some TS members asking.)

Also - How do you prove current membership status? For a weird example: I have a badge with my picture on it. I have a receipt for a month’s membership that I paid for in October and activated on November 8. I don’t have receipt proof of current active status, but I have photos (maybe) of me in and lasering as recent as 2 weeks ago? Should I get a testimony from one of the former employees? I mean, there’s no real other way to prove it in a weird case like mine.

Food for thought, because discussion.

3 Likes

That’s a really good point. It becomes especially problematic for those of us who had lifetime memberships (yeah, that was a colossaly bad investment as it turns out) and haven’t had a receipt for years… And given their disorganization around such things, they may not even have sent one.

2 Likes

Correct.

Share what you have and we’ll work with you.

7 Likes

TechShop came here guessing about 7+ years ago and talked to a group of us (belonging to a Makerspace) and proposed starting memberships at $125+ every month. The idea died at that point.

Absolute best things I got from our Makerspace when it was active? The friends I acquired and still have … and my fiance’. We became best friends while he was teaching me to build my first 3D printer…and fell in love before I built my second one. :heart_eyes: :slightly_smiling_face:

Unfortunately the $ and being able to keep a membership with rising rental costs caused a decline in membership.

5 Likes

How is it that someone with the business and financial ability has not set out to do Shapeways one (or many) better by offering a complete intermediary that could empower any creative person a complete set of tools and access to the productivity of a mostly Robotic Shop and the markets to sell what they can invent?

I looked into 3dprinters instead of :glowforge: even before I knew about :glowforge: but the productivity was so low that things would be very expensive or there would need to be a lot of additional molding and casting needed to get production into the hundreds much less a lot more. Even in laser cutting the :glowforge: is limited in scale and materials but at least what it can make it can do somewhat quickly. With very large equipment, and lots of it one person or even a small company cannot do enough to keep the equipment busy but thousands of inventors doing different things could do so easily.

The whole revolution in computers is about one machine doing an unlimited number of things, and the Maker Movement is about extending that concept to Robotics, and TechShop was a way of doing that hands on, but even franchised the market is limited to those with the hand skills living close enough to travel there regularly, and no marketing system (even to the level of Shapeways) to find a market for what they produce. However, a central company that could accomplish the production for anyone in the world, and in touch with the buyers etc of all the corporate needs and its own retail market might be bigger than Amazon.

Hi! Have you checked out i3Detroit Makerspace? I visited their space several years ago when the Kansas City Makerspace (CCCKC) visited the Detroit Maker Faire and we needed some electric car (PPPRS) repairs before the next race. They had what I called at the time a gi-normous laser cutter but I think they charged an hourly fee for using it and they had lots of tools and such.

https://www.i3detroit.org/

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. My name is Chris Ross, I am a maker, Glowforge Owner, TechShop member/instructor, and CEO/Founder of FreeForm - a 3D printing services and sales startup in Phoenix, AZ.

Like many of you, I was saddened to see the closure of TechShop and the heavy impact it’s had on so many who’s livelihoods depended on it. I was an active member who developed and taught 3D printing classes (including the Formlabs course so I am pleased to see their participation).

Inspired by the open letter and offers from Glowforge, Inventables, LittleBits, and Formlabs, I’d like to pitch in and help as well by offering the following:

1. Now through Dec 31st, TechShop alum will receive an additional $100 discount on most 3D Printers and 3D Scanners available in our store at http://store.freeform.xyz/. This discount will apply over and above any special promotions going on throughout the rest of the year (including Black Friday - Cyber Monday). Use code TECHSHOP at checkout.

2. Now through Dec 31st, we will offer a 25% discount on 3D printing services (FDM & SLA). For a quote, email us at info@freeformxyz.com. We ship nationwide.

3. Finally, a portion of all proceeds from sales through Dec 31st will be used to acquire and make available maker tools to our local TechShop community in Chandler, AZ (including we hope taking advantage of some of the generous offers from Dan, Zach, Ayah, and Max).

Perhaps this small gesture will help those most affected by the loss of TechShop.

Warmest regards,

Chris Ross

14 Likes

That’s very generous of you as well Chris. (I do love the Maker community…so many caring people in it.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So… I don’t know if it will result in anything, but the Facebook page for Techshop DC posted something interesting:

1 Like

Also: New Techshop News today

I Missed Out…Although, more is on the way. Creativity is a constant that ALWAYS ShowS up in other Entities. Live Long and Create…Feel the Glow…!