Terrarium cat cover

We gave my eldest kid two kittens for Christmas, and then have been playing havoc with my houseplants! Keeping them off the bigger ones has been pretty easy - I covered the exposed soil with stone, and they leave them alone.

My terrarium, however, I didn’t really want to cover with stone. So I made a lid out of acrylic to stop them digging up the succulents I’m propagating! It’s got an engraved band that fits over the rim of the terrarium so it won’t slide off easily, and a whole bunch of holes so there’s some airflow. I’m pleased!

46 Likes

A great example of #practical-cuts!

9 Likes

Thank you! I love a good practical cut, but this is the first one I’ve done that has form AND function :grin:

6 Likes

Love this! Hope I’m not hijacking by showing you mine, too. I guess great minds think alike! Just recently had this huge vase planted with a terrarium and had no lid, so did a similar thing…cut a round disk and just put some plastic ‘feet’ inside underneath to keep it from sliding off. This one thrives without air holes…and with no worries about cats. The guy that planted it for me was so impressed with the ‘insta-lid’ that he had me cut a large one for an open container he had just purchased for his shop.

21 Likes

Not hijacking at all, I love to see other people’s plants :grin: that looks very cool, and it’s a gorgeous setup!

3 Likes

Very cool idea!

4 Likes

Some excellent cuts here!

3 Likes

I can finally get an indoor plant! Thank you.

2 Likes

Great idea :slight_smile: I have had to something similar - great job!

3 Likes

That terrarium is beautiful. I need to make something like that.

2 Likes

Good thinking!

1 Like

This adds such a cool effect, practical and looks awesome as well!

2 Likes

This is lovely!

2 Likes

That is great. Love how we can solve problems with the :glowforge:

4 Likes

Things we didn’t even know we needed before we had a GF.

1 Like

Great idea! We had to ditch the houseplants with the cats. It’s fine because I’m awful at caring for them, but the terrarium is prettty neat.

1 Like

I recently had to take two printers to the dump, one of them was full of debris from a house plant my daughter had sitting nearby that a cat she watched over a weekend spilled into it.

I shook and blew out what I could but it would not come back to life. Probably 8 yrs so, so just wrote it off.

1 Like

My wife has a black thumb. My daughter has a green thumb. She threatens my wife with pain worse than death if she even THINKS about watering/touching the plants

1 Like

Yeah, mine also like to nibble so we started by ditching the toxic plants and then those that induce a bit of vomiting. In the end, it just wasn’t worth it.

@djfb I guess I quite literally have a black thumb. :grin: But seriously, I’m good for a bit and then I forget to water them. I was kind of concerned about having kids, but it turns out they let you know when they are hungry…

1 Like

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy: