Test of different acrylic colors pieced together

I agree it’s likely OK & hard to figure out why it would not be, but officially the company has NOT tested food safety, so they cannot claim it’s food safe…

I have to disagree.
Like James said, the solvent is volatile and has disappeared completely after a few hours. All that remains is acrylic.

Standing on a downtown corner will subject you to more asbestos particulate from the brakes of passing vehicles than you would be comfortable with - if you were aware of it. Miniscule. It’s the dose that makes the poison. That, and - nobody makes it out alive.:smile:

2 Likes

Shiny!

Awwww, super cute!

I don’t disagree with you that there’s likely no risk greater than the acrylic on its own. (I also live a mile downwind from Puget Sound Shipyard–fortunately moved here after most of the cleanup!).

But legally, the manufacturer cannot make a claim it’s food safe because it’s not been tested for that. It’s a distinction in legal terms… logic alone does not apply. This is the type of thing all those attorneys chasing ambulances love to grab onto if someone uses it in food and gets sick… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Actually they don’t need to do testing - they just need to be sure it’s consistent with Section 59. It’s the same as why you don’t really need NSF labeling (NSF doesn’t actually certify a product, they check process that leads to a product). As long as something meets the 59 standards it’s considered food-safe by the FDA and health departments.

1 Like

All I’m going by is what was noted in the Q&A section for the product & if the manufacturer says they haven’t tested for food safety, I’m not in a position to argue with them. And that could mean testing against Section 59… (Again not to say that it wouldn’t comply, just more folks they have to hire to support that regulation side & reporting & potential audits since they put themselves on the FDA’s radar. Cheaper/easier to not test it/make the claim).

2 Likes

Thanks for all the good info. Just checked my can and found it’s all evaporated. :slight_smile: Guess I’ll need to get some more before I can test. :slight_smile: