Testarossa Door

I wanted to do a deep dive scratch built model after watching plenty of Tested.com videos. Adam, Norm and the gang are very inspiring. So favorite poster car it is! While not pulled directly from the bed, almost every piece of this project was cut on the GF. Nearly everything is styrene, I used felt for the carpet on the door and the thinnest vinyl leather I could find for interior trim. I used bar stock aluminum for the Ferrari badge, cut on a homemade CNC machine and polished. All three badges are full size. The acrylic “Black Anodized Aluminum” prancing horse was cut, and engraved on the GF. I painted it black and did the “black anodization” with a graphite powder polishing. High mount mono specchio mirror is done, just not mounted. The windows still needs to be tinted with RIT Synthetic dye slightly green/black to match auto glass. While not perfect it make smile every time I see it

Just a few pics to help inspire.

55 Likes

I am speechless…

8 Likes

This is truly elegant and beautiful. It caught my eye though when you said you used vinyl ‘leather’. I hope you inquired about using that in the laser first…vinyl is a huge no no.

8 Likes

That part was scissors! :wink:

9 Likes
2 Likes

:ok_hand:t3: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That looks great! Um…“homemade CNC machine?” What??

8 Likes

Wow! Very impressive!

5 Likes

Stunning. Well done.

5 Likes

Absolutely stunning! What a brilliant idea! Love your vehicle choice as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Omg! Really an outstanding build.

3 Likes

That looks amazing!

1 Like

I remember Sheena Eastonn’s character on Miami Vice Calling it a Testostaroni spelling might be off.

but that door is amazing!

smart move on the scissors and the vinyl. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is an amazing piece of art. Who would have thought a car door could be iconic?

Daaaaaaaaamn

2 Likes

Seconded!

2 Likes

WOW! Tells us more about your settings for cutting styrene please?

Also what fabrication techniques did you use for the curved door shapes?

And the final finish? (Paint?)

When I 1st opened it, I kinda looked at the pictures (trying to find what they may have used their GF for; for the door). I really couldn’t see too many things. Then I read what they posted (to see if I had missed anything).
So now, I’ve been staring at these pictures, scrolling up and down for about 5 mins. and all that comes to mind is: “Wait, what? Wow!”

3 Likes

The laser likes styrene plastic pretty well, reasonably clean cuts, with minimal melting. A slight bit of sanding and it’s perfect. Everything was done on the forge except the Ferrari badge. That is solid aluminum and cut on a CNC, and then hand smoothed and polished. I wanted to go full crazy on the main shell so I carved a clay buck froze it (so it would be stiff enough) and vacuum formed it. I made the buck in the computer and cut the templates on the forge. In my mind I pulled it apart like a regular plastic model. I just broke it all down into flat plane pieces and stacked were need be. I have to finish the mirror attached to a small bit of the A-pillar and the removable aluminum ashtray that goes in the door, because what Italian isn’t smoking and driving at the same time!

Paint by the way was Tamiya White Lacquer covered with a 2K Auto Catalyzed Clear Cote. The clear coat was perfect then I started pulling the masking with out thinking which direction and tore some of the clear off. So I recoated slightly and polished. I was way better, perfect glass, but what are ya gonna do?! Better with next car I guess. Totally screwed the whole thing up so many times I can’t even remember. I trying to just get to the finish line and stop messing with it.

5 Likes