Testing non proof grade material process

Hey forge friends and alike. I am a newer pro owner that is having a blast with the sample proof grade bundle that came with my pro. I have been reading as much as I can about what is and is not good for my forge, and I am even aware of what the “blue thing” is does and how to use it.:rofl:

I have begun collecting non proofgrade leather, acrylic, plywood and hardwoods and I could use a bit of guidance from you, please, on how to safely and successfully develop material settings. .
I am looking for direction on how to best test all the great things we can cut etch and engrave so I can build a database for my UI.

I have found some templates that people use and plan on beginning there. I first wanted to ask if anyone would share your process before I begin?

Thank you in advance and Forge on!

6 Likes

Start with selecting a similar material and thickness from the Proofgrade options, use those settings as a starting point. (You can see what they are by clicking on the little arrow to the right on the popout.) They likely won’t need much tweaking.

And after a few months or so, you’ll be able to tweak them by “feel”. (Good job on knowing the secret blue thing’s function.) :smile:

8 Likes

Another piece of advice: when in doubt start with faster speeds and lower power than you think you’ll need. You can always do a second pass but you can’t put material back on.

8 Likes

One more thing, some materials like multiple passes, you don’t always have to plow thru in one pass. Addams foam board is an example. I use three passes to cut it and get much better results than doing it in one.

7 Likes

Welcome!
As a total newbie to both CNC and lasers - but with a year’s experience, I can tell you materials vary, even with the same manufacturer. I test all the things to ensure the result.
Once you sneak up on the settings, Document them. Some use a spreadsheet, I show my age by using a notebook.
Jules is right though, after a time you will develop that “feel” for the settings you start with.

6 Likes

Edit^^; With the exception of Proofgrade. That’s as close as you are going to get to plug and play.

7 Likes

Thank you Jules! Helpful for sure.

1 Like

Thank you @markevans36301, @cynd11, @PrintToLaser. Now to quit my day job and leave the family to move into my GlowCave!

5 Likes

We really can’t condone that. Your family will miss you and blame us and some of us dont’ need any more death threats. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Ok I am back with the question do i to mask or not mask on tests? (blue painters tape)
I feel like yes but i can’t be trusted.

2 Likes

Unmasked is probably fine for testing.

4 Likes

At least half of everything I put in the GF isn’t masked. The worst thing that can happen is the material gets stained from the smoke.

4 Likes

Too funny! My current state of mind…

1 Like

Thanks, everyone who sent me spinning in the right direction. The beast is loose! Paper, felt, leather, plywood.:hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil::proofgrade::heavy_multiplication_x: He he he…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.