Text conversion problems from Affinity Designer

I’m having a strange issue with Affinity Designer and text. I’ve used it before with no problems but all of a sudden it’s not converting correctly. I’ve tried several different times to convert the text to curves, I’ve tried not converting it but checking the box when I export, I’ve tried SVG and PDF files, I’ve tried using fill color with no line color and none of these seem to fix my problem. I can’t get my text to open up properly inside the glowforge interface. I’m attaching a photo of what it should look like (in Affinity) and what it ends up like in Glowforge (2nd photo). It seems like I’m missing something really simple but I can’t figure it out for the life of me!
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.00.25 PM
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.03.38 PM

1 Like

I use AD, also. I did a quick test. The reason there are dotted lines around the text is because it’s out of bounds.

This is what mine looked like when I dragged it out of the boundary area;

The other thought is that you have no material on the bed, yet?

3 Likes

Well, it was actually in bounds but not configured for printing yet. Once I configure it for printing it gets better but it’s still not accurate with that font. It is a new look for imported designs I guess? I’m thinking it might be the font. Sadly that font worked beautifully with Adobe Illustrator but apparently not with Affintity. I wasn’t able to ‘add’ the letters together once they were shapes either - just kinda clunky.

1 Like

After you convert it to curves, have you tried using a Boolean operation (Add)?

Since the text is a script font that overlaps other characters, it’s individual shapes for each letter, despite the merged appearance in AD. If you Add them all together, it will create one compound path.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I did all the time in Illustrator and even Affinity but for some reason it’s not working with this font?! Ugh. I got it to work with a different font though so I’m thinking maybe my font is the problem…

1 Like

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear you’ve hit a snag.

We’ve made some adjustments to the UI recently, you can read more here (https://glowforge.com/latest-improvements/cardboard-settings-new-catalog-design-pages-and-updates-to-the-ui).

The dotted lines are presented when a material hasn’t been specified in your Glowforge. Could you try selecting a material and let me know if the font updates?

Hi @alicia1. It’s been a while since we’ve seen any activity here, so I’ll go ahead and close this thread. Feel free to create a new thread if you run into any further trouble. We’ll be here and happy to help. Thanks!