Text not lining up

The text is all lined up correctly in the preview, and yet there is an indent created in the first 6 lines?

Any suggestions before I use up another cutting board?

I’ve checked the file (made in Illustrator) and the type is already converted to outlines, so there’s no spaces in the text box that I didn’t notice.

Has this happened to anyone else and what worked for you?

1 Like

I’d try it without the hold down pins for that thick of a board…it looks to me like the air assist fan that hangs down behind the head hit something right at the spot underneath the 1/2 cup peanut butter line, and possibly under the Midgies line somewhere.

As soon as it hits something it loses it’s relative position and just continues wherever it happens to be.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
The bad news is this didn’t turn out the way you had hoped. The good news is that the indentation almost occurred in such a way as to imply that you wanted to visually separate the ingredients from the instructions. The engrave looks very nice except for the offset.

I concur with Jules that the head got deflected and that caused the top part of the engrave to be in the wrong place.

2 Likes

thanks, I didn’t think of that!

1 Like

Sorry to hear you hit a problem. But I just wanted to say, your engrave came out beautifully otherwise! I mean, I’ve done quite a few cutting boards over the years and I always mask them so there’s no smoke damage. But yours is unmasked and looks just fantastic! Well-done!

So, it seems clear that @Jules is spot on with something hitting the air assist (likely that hold-down pin up there). But what’s interesting is the “Midgies.” Was that a separate action? It seems to line up where it should for everything 2 1/2 cups oats down. If I had to guess, was Midgies done first, then the rest of the text?

I thought the Midgies was off - too far to the right compared to the file. Also, engraves go bottom to top.

Maybe. But I think that’s an illusion. I actually held a straight edge up to my screen and it looks pretty spot on to me. That’s why I suspect it was a separate action (likely first). Which makes more sense than it somehow correcting itself at that point. Ya know?

1 Like

I see what you are saying - hope we get an answer from the OP because inquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your replies! Midgies was a separate action, but all of the text underneath is supposed to line up. My wife checked my file in Illustrator (she’s the expert) and she noticed I had two blank boxes near the text. We deleted those boxes in case they were interfering with the line up and I’m trying again - with no hold down pins! Will let you know the outcome in a few minutes!

1 Like

Thanks Tom, I read a lot of other posts about bamboo cutting board settings and tried what other people suggested.
Speed 1000
Power 90
340 LPI 1 pass
They also mentioned how hard it is to mask bamboo, so recommended to just wash it after with dish soap and a soft toothbrush. Works like a charm!

1 Like

YES! Whatever I did worked and now the engrave looks perfect!

Note to self, stop waiting until the last minute and next Christmas start earlier.

3 Likes

I’d bet that’s the solution. The GFUI couldn’t show anything because the boxes weren’t stroked/filled and so it ignored them in the UI but the motion path picked them up because they were part of the file. A bug in the UI.

1 Like

I’m glad you resolved it! Thank you to everyone who suggested the next steps! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.