Text2Vector (Free Vector Text Generator)

Sorry - not implying is should. Someone asked, I told them how to do in Inkscape, which led to this discussion.

Your tool can provide the single-stroke text in multiple fonts, which is very handy. If someone wanted to stitch over it in leather, for example, they could use this technique.

1 Like

I was thinking it would be a great way to cut all the way through without the centers of the ā€œOā€ etc falling out. I really do not like most stenciled fonts.

1 Like

It would be simpler to use a font designed for the purpose.

It reminds me of Duchampā€™s The Green Box, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/492389

Someone even made the font based of the artwork.
http://ninastoessinger.com/projects/selavy/

@rbtdanforth I found the font looking for a stencil font that didnā€™t look stenciled.

2 Likes

It would not be hard to create a font that did that to use on this application (it would just take a lot of time), but to make it an option for all fonts would be VERY complicated.

Would users be interested in a font like that for this? If there is enough interest, I could work on it.

I donā€™t have a use for it, besides I already have the font. I think there are more useful additions than adding more fonts.

1 Like

If I had a need for it, I would create it. But I donā€™t, so I wonā€™t.

That was how this projected started anyway. I needed (well, I wanted) a less-complicated single-line font for my designs. That was easier to create than in Inkscape, but could easily be added to Inkscape (or directly into the :glowforge: UI).

3 Likes

@bill.m.davis & @drvegetable The latest version is truly fantastic. Copy svg to clipboard pastes flawlessly into AI. Great time saver vs. using any of the other available single line text tools.

Do you guys have a buy me a coffee set up?

3 Likes

I do not. (I cannot speak for @drvegetable.) I just create things that I find useful, and I share them.

6 Likes

Your generosity is much appreciated sir.

3 Likes

What he said.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this!

5 Likes

Thank you @bill.m.davis and @drvegetable, your work is appreciated. Please keep creating and sharing useful things.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for text2vector, @bill.m.davis and @drvegetable. I find myself using your ā€œsimpleā€ tool all the time to annotate parts that are laid out for cutting. By the time Iā€™ve shuffled them around to conserve material, their relationship to one another for assembly gets thoroughly lost. But now, thanks to text2vector, theyā€™re labeled!

3 Likes

That is exactly why I needed this tool!

I am glad it is of use to others too!!

2 Likes

I totally love this. It works great copying and pasting into Illustrator, saving tons of time. I really wish Illustrator handled single-line fonts better out of the box.

Are there any plans to add cursive and/or handwritten single-line fonts? Could I donate to the project to make that happen faster :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

I could play around with it, but those get pretty complicated very fast.

I can look at it to see how possible it is. I will add it to the list of things I want play with.

And welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing some creations that have used this!

1 Like

I played around with the scripting font, but there were just to many variations with the lettersā€¦ I will keep thinking about it, but as of right now, I donā€™t see a really good way to do it.

Most of the scripting fonts I looked at used variations in line width, and while that could be possible (doubling certain lines) there is also the complication of sometimes they join the next letter and sometimes they donā€™tā€¦

Like I said, I will keep thinking about itā€¦

1 Like

T2V was a lifesaver for this project because engraves were both slooooow and didnā€™t show up well.
Itā€™s a 9 compartment quick grab drill bit holder. Not a replacement for real indexes which I have just a place to grab a 1/8 or a 1/4" and go.

8 Likes

Both of these tools are epic, thanks for sharing them.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this. It sure is amazing! :slight_smile:

1 Like