Thankful to be connected to Glowforge

I just want to post a note to all the amazing people in the Glowforge community. After a short read on
reddit, I was shocked by the toxic atmosphere there. I have never seen that in this forum. Good on everyone - let’s keep it that way.

21 Likes

Toxic at reddit in general, or something gf related in reddit?

1 Like

Hi yes, Glowforge related in my short read, but I was out of there after 2 minutes. Wanted to say how much I appreciate the friendly tone here.

3 Likes

Sure we are friendly… until you post a project that uses papyrus. Then it’s a dogpile. :wink:

12 Likes

Or Comic Sans. :smile:

9 Likes

7 Likes

I was wondering if anyone had tried to make papyrus paper and cut it on a Glowforge?

2 Likes

I will intentionally use those fonts just to irritate the designer wannabees that let others influence them. There are real technical reasons not to use those fonts in the print industry. But there are likely many dozens of other fonts that are worse from a design point.

2 Likes

there are real design reasons not to use them.

not “never ever,” but rarely do people use them where they fit the designs. they are limited functionality fonts that get used “just because” a lot.

Just thankful fonts don’t trigger me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have the same ill feelings regarding Helvetica but not because of its design, simply because of its overuse by corporate committee.

However I also hate all the swoopy pinterest “name sign” fonts people are using these days, but it’s a trend that will fade eventually (hopefully).

2 Likes

Slightly for me, Kerning throws me over the top though :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kerning

8 Likes

This. :smile:

bad fonts, bad kerning, poor line spacing… all hazards of two years of typography in college and 20+ years of typesetting.

i’ve even made my wife into a movie credits critic and she sometimes hates me for it.

4 Likes

Yes! :laughing:

1 Like

The Shadow knows (not all are old enough to remember this)…and the font police know.

5 Likes

But of course (in PRU days I would pretty much shove any non-chloride based object into the GF)…

3 Likes

Wow. Thinking that if folks have so much passion about how others use a font that no one should have the time to argue politics. They must be uncultured and unrefined.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.