THE 3D Engrave

Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah. Nice marketing material - Lets see a video of that printing out, and what the result looks like.Then I’ll believe that it can do that without a lot of hand holding.

The same way even the trace functionality still has work that needs to be completed (no compensation for height), this is something that was one of the major attractors to the product, and over a year since the machine went on for sale, we have not seen a single demonstration of this.

At this point seeing is believing.

2 Likes

nah, I dont want dreams, I want laser beams!

4 Likes

This is the kind of thing I’m really look forward to.

1 Like

ive seen trace in person. @dan said hes going to upload a video (maybe today) of the 3d engrave happening.

9 Likes

There are several videos of the trace in action here in the forum.

Several from the MakerFaire posts, and this one that runs through the whole process of engraving and cutting on a vector. Front to end.

You have no basis for your implication that this is all just marketing.
Go take a look at the MakerFaire posts.

5 Likes

Yep, the 3D engrave ability is simply amazing.

I can’t wait to get my hands on it! Bravo to Glowforge for the amazing ability to 3D engrave from a grayscale image. Sure looks like the power supply is spot on now!

2 Likes

wow - what a perfect phrase for a laser cutter! might also add, “eat my dust” :laughing:

5 Likes

Yeah, that looks real nice, makes the wait a little easier, but, oh, the antici-

pation!!!

…and the not getting wood shavings everywhere, or stabbing yourself in the hand with a carving tool!

13 Likes

“Better than the deed. Better than the Memory. The moment of Anticipation!”

[from an early (season 2?) episode of The Simpsons where Marge is contemplating having an affair with Jacques, her bowling instructor]

4 Likes

It sounds like competitors lasers can do 3D engraving like the one of Dan’s schedule change message. What’s the lowest price one could expect to pay for one of those?

1 Like

Any laser with a variable power supply can do a 3d engrave. The quality probably wont be quite as good, but the units only cost around 2500 at this point in time. Youll have to deal with the incredibly terrible chinese software though. I think there are a few people on the forum that have some redsail clones. @sawa and @apix have them. they might be able to help you out. ( i think those support 3d engrave)

1 Like

Smoothieboard can do it. So technically every laser in existence can be made to do it with sufficient user tech capability to upgrade the machine as needed.

3 Likes

I’m curious if @dan you guys had to scrub of smoke it to get the lighter parts to be light? Haha (laser noob here…)

5 Likes

Like you, @takitus, this is something I have waited for since I first heard about the Glowforge. I didn’t order until @dan responded to a few questions I emailed support. The big one was will the Glowforge be able to do this kind of thing. He assured me at that time (October 2015) that it would. It’s great to see such a nice example.

Everyone’s needs, desires, and hopes for the Glowforge are different. To me, last night’s email came out as a net positive. While I was disappointed in the delay, I was more excited about the positives in the email including this sample engrave.

7 Likes

I’ve been out of likes for 14 hours. I can’t have any more for 3 hours.
That photo caused dancing and :squeee: in the kitchen in the midst of a delay announcement.
It is so great and it put a lot of warm lifting air in my deflated balloon of :glowforge: anticipation.
I know, I know… I’m an enthusiastic Pollyanna cheerleader.
Looking at that, though, why shouldn’t I be?

5 Likes

We’ve been experimenting with exactly that. We have more work to do so that we can precisely map each level of grey to a depth, and it will only work in some materials, but we think it’s very possible.

‘beams’ - not a motto, just something our designer dreamed up for fun.

22 Likes

Apologies - definitely won’t happen today, as I’m going to be busy here & working with the team, and I’m visiting suppliers next week.

5 Likes

Yes - 3D engraving wood leaves a resin on it, so you have to clean it off with a toothbrush and some hand soap.

21 Likes

That’s what I thought. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thanks for the clarification Dan!

1 Like