"The Cortez" - My First Project for the "Binge" Art Show (Dec 2018)

The Proofgrade materials are excellent and do save time and trial and error but I have also ordered excellent material from other resources for about half the price (if you stick to 6" widths similar to some proofgrade standard sizes … https://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll-saw-lumber/). I went crazy the first time and ordered all kinds of thicknesses and sizes only to find that 1/8" and 1/16" is all I’ll ever need.

3 Likes

This is AMAZING.

4 Likes

Epic work!

2 Likes

So much dimension … so much to fall in love with! Really enjoyed your post!

2 Likes

I no joke had my jaw drop after looking at this. Like literally. This is the first time I have ever been so wowed.

2 Likes

it is really a cool tool. I used it for my LED edge lit “sign” for one of my nephews that is all about star wars. so his name looked like the floating text at the beginning :slight_smile:

1 Like

This takes my breath away. Extraordinarily beautiful!

2 Likes

This is absolutely amazing!

3 Likes

There is always 3D relief carving you could add to great effect with the thicker materials.

3 Likes

I just had to mention, I never noticed Cortez above the door until I saw this. :slight_smile: Absolutely amazing piece.

1 Like

Same here … it wasn’t until I started trying to layout the details of the design that I noticed he had been there all along … unappreciated. I spent hours trying to understand where exactly he was positioned in the hotel. There is one scene where Lady Gaga is in the elevator and you can see the lobby through the open areas of Cortez. That was when I realized the elevator was a glass encasement behind Cortez himself. At least I hope I envisioned that properly. :grin:

3 Likes

Process Video of the assembly …

12 Likes

Fun to see it go together!

3 Likes

Oooh - I’ll put this on and glance over as they progress
11:27 later I can finally peel my eyes away!

That’s so frickin’ cool The attention to detail in the design make the construction mesmerizing! The frame tops it beautifully!

6 Likes

I just can’t stop looking at this!
It’s amazing!

1 Like

:joy: I didn’t mean for the video to be so long. There were just A LOT of steps! Thanks for watching!!!

1 Like

I thought this was amazing from your photos, but watching the video of the assembly… I am totally blown away. Such a fantastic piece. I’ll be returning to this post and your video for inspiration for years to come. Excellent post. Excellent video. Excellent work of art. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!! … and thanks for watching!!

I’m thinking “The Raven” from Altered Carbon as a nice hotel project. :slight_smile:
not for me I don’t have enough sk1lz. but I am not above making more work for somebody else. LOL

1 Like

This is absoutely beautiful. You’ve definately set the standard for this type of art.

1 Like