The daily rant: words of encouragement, humor, birthday wishes, etc

If today were April 1st I could just chalk it up to being a cruel prank… Would someone please PM me with the answer to Dan’s “duimb” comment. Trying to find a solution is all consuming. I assume it’s because I don’t quite grasp certain types of humor. There are still 4 cords of winter wood outside yet to be split and the wife is running around the house in a coat. Save her.

8 Likes

Thought I had it LICT but I guess not

2 Likes

A fellow WV should not be that cruel. Now I can’t figure out LICT.

3 Likes

It was a hint for this link lol its an acronym as far as I can tell but @dan will have to verify.

http://www.meaningfor.com/what-does-stand-for/duimb

3 Likes

Yeah. I had been there early. It made no sense to me whatsoever. Dan doesn’t strike me as the Astrology/numerology type. Even tried 22 on the periodic table. If this turns out to be something that only folks that read the New Yorker cartoons would understand then I am wasting my time. Could stare at those cartoons for hours and not understand. Still can’t quite grasp the humor in “Why does the chicken cross the road”.

Edit: Of course I fully understand the irony in the statement “I am wasting my time”.

6 Likes

My assumption has been brain teaser like these? I just can’t think of what it would be…

4 Likes

“i” in dumb?
“i” m in the middle of dumb?
“i” m in the center of a bunch of dummies?
“Help!” I’ve fallen and I can’t get up?

This had better be good, I’m putting things off to try and figure it out…

C’mon @dan…need another hint here. :smile:

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s So Diumb. As in Sodium. Since it was in response to “Na”.

16 Likes

You nailed it! Now I can sleep.

6 Likes

Are you implying that Dan is fallible? That is was a typo on the non-typo. My world view is upside down.

5 Likes

You are a genius! (And there is a typo in there…sorry Dan!)

I think that one wins the award for the most clever malapropism of the week! Had half a dozen of us scrambling all morning! :smiley:

(I love this group!)

10 Likes

The fish was swimming along and smacked right into a wall.
“DAM!” he shouts.
Another, rather judgemental fish swam by and muttered, “Dumb Bass.”

17 Likes

Gonna use this one on hubs.:smile:

2 Likes

This might be a good place to say that the typo is a prime example of why Beta testing and other independent testing of any complex system is so important. The folks that design and build H/W and S/W for a product are the worst people to perform anything beyond functional testing. Bring in others to do an operational evaluation. We won’t see our own mistakes no matter how hard we look. Everyone starts with assumptions. I once spelled my own name wrong on a business card and didn’t notice until it was pointed out a year later.

8 Likes

The first principal is you must not allow yourself to be fooled, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Feynman

7 Likes

Doing upscale furniture delivery, inspection to insulate my customer from disenchantment was a main focus.
When it came to my own furniture, I was determined to get it perfect.
It was about 6 months later, laying in bed, across the room I noticed a large flaw in the finish starring me in the face.
How did I…?

6 Likes

If you are going to do those brain teasers, you gotta include this one:

19 Likes

Misunderstanding between Friends. (And that used my last like for the day.) :smile:

13 Likes

Very good! (I’m out of Likes too) - Rich

2 Likes

LOL I can’t believe it took some people that long to get it… esp. If they saw what it was in reply to. LOL (If they were hooked on phonics they may have gotten it as well.)

2 Likes