The daily rant: words of encouragement, humor, birthday wishes, etc

I can totally go for that! Phew!!

Now… about Mother’s Day…

4 Likes

April first will be moving day for me.
Come help me move and I will feed you burgers and beer.

7 Likes

I’m moving April 1st, too.
Donuts and juice at the storage unit at 8.
Probably something like burgers once the job is done.
Good luck with your move. May your stuff not get nicked… in any way.

6 Likes

Ummmm… :flushed:

17 Likes

Sacramento? Hmmmm…- Rich

1 Like

What? Look at all that rope. That’s a class A job :wink:

2 Likes

This guy is actually not doing half bad. At least there is a ratchet strap around the mattress.
Last month I saw by a truck rocketing onto the freeway with a mattress tied on with… rope? Big mattress in a little truck, it was leaned up against and over the cab. Must have been going 80 by the time he passed me, and the mattress was at FULL SAIL. About a mile or two later I passed him pulled over by CHP. Mattress was in the ditch. Could have been a lot worse.

edit: searching youtube for ‘mattress flys off truck’ brings up way too many hits.

12 Likes

Woopsie. :sweat:

2 Likes

I have almost been hit by a flying mattress on the freeway…twice. Ugh.

5 Likes

My car got hit by a chunk of softball-sized concrete falling off of a demolition dump truck driving toward me (100 mph closing speed). I saw it in the air but had no time to react. It hit my hood just above the left headlight, bounced off that into a near perfect arc over the car roof above head with a few inches to spare and hit the road behind me me. I figure a 1/2 second later and it would have come through the windshield at my chest or head. Makes one a believer in tarps those demolition vehicles are supposed to use and rarely do.

4 Likes

Ohhh crap! Maybe a believer in God too… - Rich

3 Likes

I was travelling South on a divided interstate. The Northbound lanes were maybe 15 or so feet higher than ours. A truck travelling North lost it’s tire, rim and all, and out of all the places to land it made it onto the roof of my 1996 Nissan Sentra. My wife, daughter, and myself were all in the car. I was the only one injured to any significant degree. It was due to an improperly maintained commercial vehicle. People need to take driving seriously. That doesn’t mean to not enjoy it. I still do. Cover your load. Don’t cut corners maintaining your 18 wheeler. Get your hands off the cell phone when you are driving.

Hmmm… seem to have veered from encouragement and humor, as the title of the topic mentions. How 'bout a silly GIF?

32 Likes

Wow! Knowing what caused that damage I would have guessed fatalities!

3 Likes

The wife was bruised and scuffed. The kid had a gash near her temple. I got a TBI, a fractured vertebrae, and a shoulder injury. There was a bit of non-physical injuries as well, but yeah. Looking at the picture it hard to see how we fit sitting in that thing.

Pretty surreal waking up. I don’t hardly remember dreams at night. There, on the median, I dreamt that I was sitting in a sunny grass field, my smiling family there, with a pleasant wind blowing. When I came to, the wind and grass were there, but I was on a stretcher and it was getting dark. It might seem strange, but I’m still an atheist. One that believes the human mind can do some amazing things in a crisis.

…and it was pointed out to me that my mind could have stole that from the movie Gladiator.

I think that calls for another GIF.

23 Likes

Love the GIFs…hate the subject.

5 Likes

Maybe need one of these:

4 Likes

I know this for a fact. Time dilation is an example. Gives me understanding of life flashing before your eyes.

In an accident that was about a third head on, the other car was over the centerline and I was close to it. As we glanced hard off each other, I recall with crystal clearity glass from the headlights flying past my window. I could have almost counted them. As the fragments went by, they were flashing as they all rotated at different angles and light reflected off the surfaces - and I was back in ‘real’ time. Not enough time to turn my head and look out the window, it was all peripheral vision.
Fraction of a second, but it seemed like 10.

10 Likes

You forgot to GIF.

13 Likes

Is the GIF creature related to this https://youtu.be/QAJzsaz2ZSc ?

2 Likes