The First Rule of Proofgrade šŸ˜Ž

You just have to tell it that the material is Proofgrade. It will believe you even if itā€™s not :wink: Itā€™s a dropdown menu to get it to think youā€™re using PG and give you back the PG settings (vs having to specify each cut/score/engrave speed, power, LPI setting).

1 Like

Indeed, I imagine that will change since it would otherwise allow people easy access to Proofgrade settings without buying Proofgrade.

Now I remember that the long-term plan is to put some kind of U markings on the material rather than a big sticker, so I guess the data would be distributed.

1 Like

Maybe not. Itā€™s going to be hard to allow full use of PG material if you canā€™t tell the machine itā€™s PG when it canā€™t tell by itself. There are times now when it canā€™t read the sticker. At least I can tell why and move the material so it gets a better look at it. But with the UV marks I wouldnā€™t know why itā€™s not working and now I have a piece of ā€œdefectiveā€ PG that I want my money back (return shipping included). Or I make enough swiss cheese out of it that no UV code is in sufficient condition to be effectively read anymore - I only get to use 70/80/90% of my PG?

4 Likes

Wow. Very impressive @Jules.

2 Likes

I must have missed it. Did your pre release crap out?

2 Likes

In addition the 1/8" Proofgrade is a weird thickness. Something like 0.130". Good luck finding that in a similar material. So the barcodes arenā€™t that useful for non-Proofgrade, just a starting point.

3 Likes

I saw that in the settings and wondered myself. I micā€™ed it and came out with that on the PG I got so itā€™s right. But I did that with the masking on. Two layers of masking come out to be about 0.005" so itā€™s pretty much spot on.

Whereas most of the 1/8" stuff I buy is 3mm which is close but not the same as 0.125" as they taught us in math class :slight_smile: Same with 1/4" which is really 6mm.

The metric sizes are showing up in the U.S. too. Not because weā€™re converting to the other measurement system but because manufacturers can shave off another little bit of material while charging the same. Multiplied over 10s of millions of pieces, all those millimeters add up to lots of feet :smile:

5 Likes

One thing about nesting with wood is the challenge of the grain. So what might be efficient might not give you the orientation you need. I pretty much keep everything and use lots of scraps for testing slots and tabs and engraving results. The horizontal and vertical lines of different colors are very handy. You can resize them to make them longer, you can copy and paste and make as many as you want. You can rotate them. It doesnā€™t take too long to slice up to get at the edges.

I also have a file of a circle and a square and a golden rectangle. That takes care of just about everything.

9 Likes

One thing about nesting with wood is the challenge of the grain. So what might be efficient might not give you the orientation you need.

Thatā€™s an excellent point and not one I had considered; but it now also makes me think about exploiting this to artistic effect.

In my head Iā€™m imagining the aesthetic differences between a Penrose tiling pattern simply engraved on a wooden substrate and instead Penrose tiles cut from wood with a characteristic grain (say, Hickory) with their grain all in the same orientation with respect to the tile itself and then assembled into the pattern such that their individual grain patterns accentuate the overall patternā€¦

Maybe Iā€™m overthinking this.

4 Likes

Taking into account grain is essential for any piece. Because the finish is so nice, the grain is very noticable as a distinguishing feature. My inlay compass rose shows quite a few different grains oriented a certain way, including a couple I missed.

2 Likes

Yeah, hopefully short term. The focus head is at HQ now.

3 Likes

Yikes! I hope itā€™s very short term :grimacing:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m designing so much of my own stuff. Available designs have to be tweaked a bit.

1 Like

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. What can go wrong in the head? Are there electronics in there?

3 Likes

Butt loads. Focus motor, camera, range finder. Control hardware for all before. Remember, this is a whole new class of prosumer laser.

If I had to guess, Iā€™d guess the driver for the focus motor.

5 Likes

Awesome - hopperized! (cc @tony)

8 Likes

That was one of the features of the :glowforge: that I loved the most! NO WASTE!!

2 Likes