The GlowForge in the Original Marketing Video

qa

I would love to be able to put the “original” GlowForge shown in the marketing video adjacent to a production unit and compare the two machines to determine what has changed and what has stayed the same. I would also like to see how the software interface evolved over the same period between the two machines!

I suspect I will have to wait until the original machine is displayed in the Smithsonian to see it, but it would be nice if @dan would do this at some future date for us!

Is that possible Dan?

Or, lend me the original after I get my production unit and I will take it apart and post all the differences!

P.S. Since I began taking things apart as a kid, I have usually gotten them back together!

P.P.S I usually end up with a few extra parts, but every machine I have dismantled has run better after being disassembled then reassembled!!! (Especially that clock that ran faster!)

…smithsonian?

Oh, the potential fun we could have making a sendup vid of of it.

That is a fascinating desire to see the difference between the machines. I’m more interested in how the software development took form. It has got to have morphed pretty drastically. But maybe they were about to do a good road map early?

Once the story is written down, it would be a great read!

If yout ake something apart and put it together enough times, eventually you will have two of them.

One of the[quote=“jrnelson, post:2, topic:3945, full:true”]
…smithsonian?
[/quote]

Smithsonian museums in Washington D.C.

I think the read would be as good as “The Soul of a New Machine”. This book is a must read for anyone who considers themselves a tech nut!!!

Great video! I love the music. That engine resembles an old Crossley four banger engine.

I know what the smithsonian is; I like glowforge and all but I don’t think it needs to go in the smithsonian?

I wish I had the knowledge and patience to do everything it took to make that video. Unbelievable.

I think it will! (@dan - don’t throw it away!) It is not the first laser machine, but it moves the technology forward in a huge step, in design and functionality. Only time will tell! If it doesn’t end up in the Smithsonian, then maybe The Louvre since it is so beautiful. :-)))

that. is. amazing.

10 months editing the video… :slight_smile:

The car is a Triumph Spitfire. The engine is an uprated version of the one used in the Triumph Herald.

Great cars to tinker with. One could sit on a front wheel whilst working on the engine. Oh happy days of de-cokes, valve timing etc.!

I’m willing to bet the original from the video doesn’t exist any more. If it was ever a “whole” machine, likely as they improved individual parts it got upgraded and moved further along probably at least till they hit the point of injection molded plastics if not later.

Like George Washington’s Hatchet?

The YouTuber Frank Horwarth would be proud!

I guess you didn’t have any problems figuring out where everything went back during assembly?

I convinced Mark to save the original prototype “Glowforge” (briefly appears here). I think we also have some of the original ones used for demos somewhere in our old office. Once all the ordered units are in customers hands, I’d love to do a mini teardown (with Dan’s blessing of course).

Cool. Had seen a pic or two of very early prototypes with kludged up overhead camera before getting the molds but that one is a classic. Makes made on a Glowforge have a slightly different spin.

Whoa, never saw that video before! love that.
yes! save them, hide them, stash them away! When the building that houses my department was being remodeled, we had to shift everything around 3-4 times and threw out a bunch of old junk. When I asked one of the professors about an old vacuum tube oscilloscope, they said “throw it out”. I almost did, but just couldn’t resist the charm of the old thing. I stashed it in a corner of the original hand dug basement under some plastic sheeting. Two years later when I found it again I decided to inquire about it with the archivist at the museum. come to find out the owner of the company, Tektronix, had donated several of these brand new prototypes to the University before they went out to the rest of the world. I cleared off the dust to find the serial number of 123 on this machine that revolutionized oscilloscopes many years ago. some retirees from Tektronix had a museum/restoration shop, they raced over when they found out and nearly cried when they saw it. they gave it a full cleaning and even got it working like the day it was born. I built a really fancy display case for it. there was a huge ceremony with the founders and families before it was placed in it’s protective box and dedicated. it now sits on display in front of the study room his family dedicated to his memory. All because I decided, for no good reason, to stash it for another day.