The GlowSpike

Are you planning to sell your solution? 'Cause, I think I wanna be in line.

3 Likes

If by ā€œsellā€ you mean post here then yes, I will be posting for one and all. Iā€™m hoping this week to have it in shape to post up for other PRUs who are interested to work on it as well (itā€™s an OnShape project so other PRUs who are on OnShape Iā€™m happy to share directly)

15 Likes

Awesome!!! Thatā€™s even better! (didnā€™t want to beg for filesā€¦)

5 Likes

Anything I do like this for the GF will be an open source thing (my medical stuff I am somewhat bound by my employer, but this kind of stuff is for the community). Just havenā€™t posted since it is a total work in progress so would just annoy everyone with version after version being posted as I iterate over the design.

9 Likes

Yes, and in fact a 3D printed part would likely be superior in this case, but trying to develop something that could be an early print for users to just make when they get the GF without having to find someone with a 3D printer.

3 Likes

Oh for sureā€¦didnā€™t mean to say it was great in this instance to do the actual modelingā€¦I said mock-up, I shouldā€™ve said 3D sketches. At work I have Creo, but by the time it launched, I had it done in PPT.

Would you envision taking this on-and-off a lot? Otherwise, what do you think of bolting a piece of acrylic to the crumb tray, and then cutting out the square/corner/guides? This would ā€œlockā€ it into place to the crumb-trayā€¦but then how much can the crumb tray move around could be an issue.

1 Like

The idea is those parts will lock into specific case features which will (using 4 of them) lock the crumb tray in place relative to the case as well as giving a repeatable stop on the surface.

OnShape is web based so starts virtually instantlyā€¦

6 Likes

is not possible just to have an L shape in the corner of the unit?

Thatā€™s more like what I was thinking, but I also thought the idea was to create a reference point, not lock the crumb tray down. Locking the crumb tray down is a task that I will try to only observe, silently.

1 Like

What about a wide score/deep engrave? Or am I way overthinking this?

No, since it would interfere with the Y-axis rails, and obviously you donā€™t want to press up against the door.

Itā€™s not locking it down in that way, you need to be able to place your material in repeatedly, so locking everything on the bed into a nice solid piece is best. Itā€™s not locked down in the sense that you canā€™t remove/move it, but while these are in place the bed canā€™t move laterally and the angle brackets will be reference points.

3 Likes

Hmmm, OK. I might need to rethinkā€¦ I am expecting a number of tasks that would require some sort of jig for placement. I was thinking that it could just be butted up inside the cutting area somewhereā€¦

Thatā€™s the goal of this too. You can either take the files and make your own jig, or you can fit your jig onto the corner brackets of this one.

2 Likes

For many purposes thatā€™s fine. Aligning to the crumb tray is pretty consistent but itā€™s not locked to the machine nor is anything indexed off of it. It could shift ever so slightly in the dimples its ā€œfeetā€ rest in which can lead to slight differences in positioning from job to job. What folks like @henryhbk are looking to do is reduce the margin of error to point zero zero something. For a lot of work thatā€™s not critical but when youā€™re used to CNC and 3D printing itā€™s something you count on. For craft use thatā€™s probably at least one and maybe two orders of magnitude more precision than is needed.

2 Likes

But given how easy it is to implement, why notā€¦

2 Likes

And, I want it for craft work.

1 Like

Iā€™d definitely put on t use making cards and invites!
Thats what Iā€™m looking to mainly focus on.

1 Like

Right. But donā€™t want folks like @sqw thinking itā€™s something absolutely necessary to effectively use the GF. If you get it to where itā€™s a ā€œfirst printā€ thatā€™s gonna be great but most folks will be fine without it. :slightly_smiling_face: I like how youā€™re looking to do it all on the GF and not require a 3D printer or something machined.

3 Likes

I , for one, greatly appreciate all the thought and time you are putting into this! This is a GREAT tool for anyone, like myself, that will be running duplicates.
Thank you so much for all of the time and effort youā€™ve put into this to make it work correctly!

3 Likes

Absolutely agree, and I hope @henryhbk knows that as well! But trying to poke holes in designs is what makes them betterā€¦like a collaborative effort. Though, I wonder nowā€¦perhaps this isnā€™t the place to poke holes in otherā€™s designs?

Iā€™ve only been married for <5 years and Iā€™m still trying to learn when Iā€™m supposed to ā€œjust listenā€ to her vent versus give her my advice on how to fix the problem! :wink:

10 Likes