The Great Ornament Show-off Thread 2018


#163

Thank you. Our old stand-by had become dented beyond repair, so I decided to spend a couple of hours.


#164

Thanks Grizzarkhov. I used a non-proof grade walnut ply from a local wood store. It was unfinished, so I applied two coats of polyurethane on the front and back before lasering.


#165

Thanks for the quick response. I need to venture into other woods and materials.


#166

Here’s my take on the nativity ornament


#167

Gary, what do you use for your masking? What materials and settings are you using most often?


#168

Someone at work requested an “AZ wildcats name ornament” in memory of her husband… I decided to add color with acrylic inlay…


I believe this was on the cherry :proofgrade:


#169

The contrasting colors are great. :grinning:


#170

Love the reindeer


#171

Very late to the party! I did this over the holidays and, took a few quick pics while cleaning up in the studio today.

I have been wanting to make an illuminated paper star to use for package ornaments for years and, finally had a quick go at it in December. This is about 4.5 inches across.

I am not entirely happy with this prototype. For starters, it was way too much work. I used a medium-tack masking on the stock. Removing the masking for the section over the Interlacing to paint the silver parts was pretty tedious. Gluing in the translucent panels (tracing vellum) was not bad. Final assembly, though was pretty grim. Getting the last point glued in was particularly challenging. The result is overly fragile.

I am using some little LED flashies for the lighting but, swapped in a steady LED for the photo.

The solution to making it work better might be a lighter-weight stock. This one is a very rigid 130lb that made it difficult to collapse the points while gluing them together. I am contemplating design changes to improve for the next pass. As always, suggestions welcome.